PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium safe Silicon

gregt
02/15/2002, 09:50 AM
I'm trying to find out if there is any problem using this product on an aquarium:

http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/diy/portfolio/silicones/silicone2.shtml

The tube I bought says nothing about any type of chemical treatment included, nor any warning about using on aquariums. However, a tube a friend of mine has of the same product specifically says "Not intended for use in aquariums".

The ad also states that it has an "anti-mildew" feature.

I've already used it, and I don't want to rip it all apart unless I have to.

Also, if possible can you explain the danger of "anti-mildew" chemicals?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2002, 09:59 AM
The GE site says that only the Kitchen and Bath versions have the antimildew treatment. Is that the type you used?

I don't know what chemical they have added to reduce mildew, but presumably it is something that oozes to the surface over time and kills or at least inhibits the growth of mildew. The concern that this same chemical might cause problems for tank inhabitants, especially microorganisms,

While I wouldn't recommend it to begin with, the question is can it be used as is.

I personally suspect that it wouldn't be a problem, but if I were risking substantial time and money, I'd wan't more reassurance than that.

Here's one thing that you can do to reduce the "problem": get some silicone that doesn't include the anti-mildew treatment, and spread a thin layer over the silicone that you have. This layer will greatly cut down on the liklihood of chemicals leaching from the underlying layer.

I can't really say whether you need to do anything more.

gregt
02/15/2002, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a good plan. That's what I was thinking of doing myself.

Thanks,