PDA

View Full Version : Did I get ripped off?

doody
08/02/2005, 09:23 PM
Just got a 125g from a guy in Barberton for $150. Got it home to find out it has some leakage on the bottom seams. Did I just pay too much for a tank that leaks? Anyway, I wanna reseal the whole thing. Anyone here done this or got any tips?

STACKER
08/03/2005, 05:36 AM
If the top and bottom retainers are intact I'd say it'll be fine. you can inspect the seams for voids in the sealer and patch the spots carefully, or slice out all of it and reapply a substantial bead. Make sure it's bone dry or you'll never get a good seal.

$150 is OK for a good used 125 but a leaker? You might have gotten ripped a bit but all's well that ends well....

Jiddy
08/03/2005, 05:46 AM
I dont know anything about it, but i heard, that you have to take the whole strip of silicone up and do it all at once, cuz it new sealant wont stick to the old stuff, HTH

doody
08/03/2005, 06:32 AM
Well, I plan on doing the whole tank as I don't trust it now. If one spot is old, worn, and leaking, then how long before an other spot blows a leak. You guy's remember what silicone to use from HD?

hookedonfish
08/03/2005, 11:19 AM
Hey Doody,

I have resealed a few tanks......I always remove all the old silicone, clean with alcohol and reseal with aquarium silicone. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Paul