PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Tank on Cape Cod: Where?

moe_k
02/14/2002, 08:31 PM
Hey folks,

I got an email at the BostonReefers.org site asking the following question:

Hello. I am located on the Cape, and I am trying to find a reputable place to get my 65 drilled! If you could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anyone know the aswer to this?

stevescg
02/14/2002, 09:45 PM
If you own a drill then DIY, I bought a carbide holesaw from HD ($10) and drilled 3 tanks with it. They stock 2 sizes, 2" and 1 1/4". Keep the saw lubed with soapy water and go slow, its easy.

R Baxley
02/15/2002, 08:12 AM
What size would I want to purchase? I am going to have a 20or 29g sump for my 65g tank. I was thinking about going with either a mag7 or mag 950 for the return. I am new to this, but I like the idea of DIY! I like saving $$!! Thanks for the help everyone!

tstone
02/15/2002, 09:23 PM
Whereami~Get your bulkhead fitting then buy the holesaw that works.;)

yaktop
02/15/2002, 09:46 PM
Stevescg, out of curiosity what size glass did you drill? and where you able to successfully drill the glass while it was vertical (side pane). this 10 holesaw actually did it, you got courage. hate to screw up my 120 though. on a scale to 1 to 10 how easy and how slow, slow in drill speed or slow in pushing into the glass. or a fast setting and just go slow. :rolleyes:

stevescg
02/19/2002, 07:31 PM
I drilled a couple holes in a 40 gal. The glass is about .025", not quite the same as a 120 but cant see it being much more difficult. The secret is, never let the cutting surface heat up and dry out. I used soapy water as a lubricant. Med pressure, med rpm's and go slower as you are about to break through. Actually, as I was about to break through, I drilled from the other direction. If in doubt, go slower and use more lube.