PDA

View Full Version : Kato?

concon
08/01/2005, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know how long I should run the lights in my fuge to get the best growth from Kato? I bought it from Jeff Saturday but forgot to ask!

sneeyatch
08/01/2005, 07:59 PM
well, even though i don't have a fuge, from what i understand, and dealing with other "recreational" plants in the past, you want to keep it from going sexual and keep it in a vegetative state. i don't know if chaeto can go sexual or not, but to keep most plants in a growing (non-flowering) mode, you need to keep more light on them than darkness. a lot of plants start to flower (reproduce) when darkness reaches 13 hrs or more (toward the fall into early winter). most plants continue to grow during the spring / summer months with longer lighting periods.

natural tropical reef lighting periods near the equator are right under 14 hrs of light. my reef stays at 13.5 hrs lighting a day. i would recommend that a fuge would be just as long.

jake2045
08/01/2005, 08:04 PM
Connie,
Set the light on the fuge to come on opposite the main tank light as this will help stabilize the ph swing.Cheato will not go sexual.I would use the light from home depot that is a outdoors flood light,it uses a pc bulb rated at 65 watts with a 500 watts output.