PDA

View Full Version : Phosphates

Nethos
02/14/2002, 05:06 PM
Aquaman hi.

I am no expert, but i can tell you my own experience with phosphates.
About a year ago I had a problem with a number of my fish--particularly soft-skinned ones like grammas--slowly dying on me. They lost color, then energy, then just died. Over time everything died and I could not keep anything alive for any length of time.
My amonia was nil, nitrite was nil, nitrate was almost nil...and still they died.
Eventually I noticed a red algae growth and when I mentioned it to my LFS they recommended a phosphate test.

The test came up off the chart and so I started using Phosguard to take down the phosphates (in addition to the normal water changes).
This stopped the problem cold and I was able to keep the same species alive indefinitely (barring predation).

I still fight phospates constantly and rotate new bags of Phosguard in every 4 to 7 days. I have 5 bags that I rotate through the sump. This seems to do the job.

I still don't know what is continually loading my water with phosphates--perhaps the local water supply (as I have no RO/DI unit). But with the Phosguard I am able to control it.
NOTE--If you use Phosgard use it only as directed--a screw up will cost you every fish in your tank.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Dave