PDA

View Full Version : Check Valve

grahammcb
08/01/2005, 06:41 PM
I am new member to the club (joined a couple weeks ago) and am in the process of setting up a 125g aquarium. As you can probably tell this is my first time plumbing an aquarium. My question is how necessary are check valves? I was planning on putting one on my return from the sump back into the tank. My pump is a gen-ex 70hp that Dave sold me. I went to Lowes and bought the valve but it seems to me that it will restrict the water flow pretty drastically. Do you guys use them or have any input about them?
Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone at Kermits.

Graham McBride

Codeman00
08/01/2005, 07:28 PM
I personally didnt use check valves anywhere in my system. Check valves fail over time. Its better to design the sump to safely hold all of the siphoned water from the tank than to rely on a mechanical device that could fail.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Lowes and Depot check valves have metal in them...they are not aquarium safe. If you do use a check valve, you need to buy one that is aquarium safe. Like the ones here..http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_2.asp#cv

just dave
08/01/2005, 08:17 PM
Do not use check valves as a means to keep the sump from overflowing in a power shut off. You can use them to keep the tank water level high in the case of a power shut off. This keeps excess splash from getting on your lights and other equipment.

The pump is a Gen-X PCX 70 not a 70HP pump.;)

grahammcb
08/01/2005, 09:16 PM
ohhh. ok that answers that. I will take it back.

Dave, the box says it is a Gen-x model pcx 70hp did I get the wrong one?

grahammcb
08/01/2005, 09:24 PM
dave

Also the overflow boxes look great. Hopefully I will have the tank up and going pretty soon. As long as it doesnt leak all over the floor.

just dave
08/01/2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by grahammcb
ohhh. ok that answers that. I will take it back.

Dave, the box says it is a Gen-x model pcx 70hp did I get the wrong one?

I'm sure that the hp stands for high pressure (pressure rated) as opposed to horse power (which I thought you were implying.)

cschumaker
08/02/2005, 11:55 AM
Think how much flow you would have in a tank with a 70 horsepower pump. I've seen how much cottonseed oil a pump this size can move, and it would move even more saltwater. LOL

Rendos
08/03/2005, 06:54 PM
I have always used, and will continue to use true union check valves for power outages. The true union type can be removed and cleaned. They are the only ones I trust. Most check valves get dirty and if you can't clean it, it will not work.