PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Breeder in Memphis

willember
08/01/2005, 08:56 AM
From http://www.coraldynamics.com

"Clownfish Breeder

The current batch of A. ocellaris we are offering via this site were captive bred by Cathy from Memphis, TN. Cathy and her daughter worked through several issues while trying to raise several nests from their mated pair. She and I talked on the phone several times during the early periods of trial and error and together we were able to come up with some new ideas as well as the tried and true regarding how to raise clownfish larvae, through metamorphosis, and into the juvenile stages."

-------------------------------------------------------
We should get Cathy to speak to our group...

bshumake
08/01/2005, 09:32 AM
Congrats Cathy! You fishie Momma. Any chance I could adopt (and by adopt I mean pay for) a pup or two next batch?

just dave
08/01/2005, 09:34 AM
I don't think CD actually got those clowns. Cathy mentioned not wanting to fool with shipping them and wondered if I would take them. Which I did. I also believe that was the only group she raised to sell. I was under the impression that that was her largest and last brood. I think she did it to see if she could rather 'n to make a business out of it. When I see her next I'll ask her to post about them. I'm sure I'll see her soon as I assume she'd like to get PAID for the fish:p
Her RC name is crpeck .

bshumake
08/01/2005, 09:45 AM
Ahh. I thought willember was Cathy. Thanks Dave. Brain fart on my part.

just dave
08/01/2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bshumake
Ahh. I thought willember was Cathy. Thanks Dave. Brain fart on my part.

willember is Willem. He might be Cathy as well but I'd rather not know about that.

bshumake
08/01/2005, 10:23 AM
Hehe. Oh Dave, side note, my zoa plug wasn't sick just seriously peeved with me. It took a swan dive off my rock wall and landed on those polyps so they didn't want to come out till I stopped beating on it. Their peaking out now.

Vert20
08/01/2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by just dave
I don't think CD actually got those clowns. Cathy mentioned not wanting to fool with shipping them and wondered if I would take them. Which I did. I also believe that was the only group she raised to sell. I was under the impression that that was her largest and last brood. I think she did it to see if she could rather 'n to make a business out of it. When I see her next I'll ask her to post about them. I'm sure I'll see her soon as I assume she'd like to get PAID for the fish:p
Her RC name is crpeck .

I was not able to take all them, but I did get 30 of them, and they are doing wonderful! Excellent coloration, and handled the shipping very well!

Thank you!

Rendos
08/04/2005, 08:10 PM
How exactly does someone make it their last brood? I mean does she issue birth control to the parents, or have a long talk with them, or what? Just curious.

just dave
08/05/2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Rendos
How exactly does someone make it their last brood? I mean does she issue birth control to the parents, or have a long talk with them, or what? Just curious.

http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vol9Issue1/CCA/Singleanimal/22.smith.jpg

crpeck
08/12/2005, 07:51 PM
DAVE! That better not be one of my FISH!!!!!

Y'all have been talking about me ... I just found this forum and thread. I just heard about the meeting and was hoping I could come.

As far as the clown babies. Yeah ... I was mostly doing it just to see if I could since the pair keeps laying eggs every 12 days. The first batch, I lost them all. 2nd batch I saved 4 and the last batch saved over 100. Stephen at Coral Dynamics spent a lot of phone and email time helping me through and sending me rotifer food and stuff. I couldn't have done it without him and wanted to support what he's doing at Coral Dynamics so sent him as many as I could stand to deal with shipping. That ended up being 2 Fedex boxes of 30 babies. And Dave runs my favorite LFS in Memphis and (I think) is good to me so I was happy to bring him in about 65 - 70 of the rest. I got both of the parents at Kermits to begin with, so it's kind of cool to bring the babies back.

I kept back 6 runts because Dave kept giving me a hard time about them being too little and also, it was easier on me to keep just a few than to send them all off at once. And ..... there was one big one, I think even from the 1st batch that was smart enough to hide when I was loading all of the rest up. I came back from Kermits to check the 6 runts and there was Ms. Big and Pretty waggling right in the middle of the group of runts. I still don't know where that fish must have hidden to have gotten left behind.

The runts have really grown now that they're not competing with all the rest for food, so if anyone still wants Clownfish I have a few more that could go.

If Dave and/or Stephen will take them, I wouldn't mind raising some out again. I think their coloration is really pretty and kind of different from the mass produced ORA fish. I figured out some tricks with each batch and have a theory of how I could do it differently to have less misbars. I've got all of the supplies now, I'd just have to restart a rotifer culture to do it again.

I just heard about this group and the meeting coming up next week. I'd love to come and meet you all if that's okay.

Cathy

p.s. I've tried to have a long talk with the parents but they won't quit laying eggs. I've just had to get over feeling bad when they hatch out in the night, have fed the tank and are gone.

Rendos
08/12/2005, 07:57 PM
Sounds good to me. Hope to see you next Saturday.

P.S. I like misbars.

bshumake
08/12/2005, 10:02 PM
I have recently converted my tank into an orphanage for clown fish. We have a strict non-descrimination policy on misbars. And with about 130G of roaming space I can assure you that they will have a happy childhood within these glass walls.
P.S. Seriously...I want some.

crpeck
08/12/2005, 10:56 PM
Wow! 130 gallons! They'd probably think they were in the ocean with that. All they've ever seen is the 10 gallon rearing tanks they've been in so far.

I'll try to get some current pics of the remaining babies.

Here are some pictures I posted on RC when the babies were about 5 months:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=606179

Cathy