PDA

View Full Version : Clam Color ?

ron4675
02/14/2002, 10:42 AM
Hi Guys,
I haven't read anywhere this question although it has been hinted.
Do clams color change? I have seen posts here of Beautiful Dersera (sp?) clams and I really want one!
I have a 55 gal sps with 440w pc over it (8 24" 55w pc lamps) but locally when they are available the des. clams are all brown/yellow - still nice clams but nowhere near as brilliant as some I have seen here.
So will these clams stay that color or under certian conditions, light feeding etc. will they change?
Or will Jim send a baby up my way!:D

toptank
02/14/2002, 11:38 AM
From my experience they do not change color but will become more brilliant with different lighting and of course feeding your tank. You might try to get a blue rim derasa.

I have 11 clams at this time in my 180 and setting up a 60 gal for calms only. I do like my clams. :

Barry

ClamLover
02/14/2002, 02:42 PM
on the negative side, they may bleach.

on the positive side, only on one occasion, i bought a purple T crocea, after bringing it home and placing it in a quarantine for about 1-2hours , the mantle's color changed from purple to bright green actinic. i could never believe my eyes. this only happened to me once in 11 times and i couldn't find an explaination to this cause. i give that clam all it's due respect for it's amazing change. but i wouldn't bother trying my luck again to chance upon another clam like that.

witness_creation
02/15/2002, 02:57 AM
So, how hard are clams to keep??

toptank
02/15/2002, 10:07 AM
Clams are very easy to keep if you have to proper lighting. Don't have to worry about Nitrates as they love nitrtes. T. Crocea and T. Maxima require more light than T. Derasa and T. Squamosa.

If you get a least a 2" to 3" clam they are harder than lets say a 1" to 2" as they need to be feed which is easy to go with DT.s or LiquidLife.

If you clock on my site and go to clams there are some great links that will help you, one is by Daniel Knop who wrote the book, " Giant Clams" also some nice pictures.

Hope this helps. :)

Barry