PDA

View Full Version : What kind of clams can I keep under 2x175watt 13,000K MH?

Lilgrasshopper
02/14/2002, 02:58 AM
Lights are about 10" from the water. I'm tempted to get a bunch of maxima and/or crocea but don't know if I'll do justice to them under my lights. Being a relatively new tank too (1 month old).

Also, my cleaner shrimp just molted and is nowhere to be seen. I'm wanting to get a pair...but how do I tell which is a boy shrimp or girl shrimp? Will they pick on clams?

Kyle McClain
02/14/2002, 09:24 AM
Clams will do fine under that amount of light. However I would wait several more months before adding any to your system.

Shrimp usually hide for a day or two after molting to let their exoskeleton harden up. Don't know how to tell the sexes apart. They should not bother clams either.

Kyle

Don Davis
02/14/2002, 09:36 AM
I believe shrimps are hermaphrodites. Or I've been very lucky with pairing them. Anytime I have put 2 together, they both start carrying eggs. I'd just get another one and se what happens.

I agree with Kyle on the clams, I think they do better with dirty or nutrient rich water.

Don

Lilgrasshopper
02/15/2002, 12:40 AM
Speaking of nutrients, I haven't fed anything to the tank yet. I still have a lot of algae that the snails and hermits haven't cleaned up yet...so I'm still hesitant about feeding. However, I do have 2 emeral crabs and a cleaner shrimp...do they need to be fed?

Kyle McClain
02/15/2002, 11:54 AM
your live rock should have enough on it, but you could toss in a single shrimp pellet once a week if you want.

Kyle McClain
02/15/2002, 11:56 AM
by the way if they are "emeral" crabs do they walk around the tank going BAM ! and kick it up a notch ?