PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang

LoneRegister
02/14/2002, 12:42 AM
I just purchased my final fish for my tank. It's a powder blue tang. It is eating right now, but not as much as I would like. It's color is good, I gave it a 5 min freshwater dip which it seems to have taken ok.

I am now doing overfeedings at this time so that it can eat as much as possible. I am planning on changing out my 100 micron filter bag every 1 or 2 days while I use this increased feeding schedule. I'll also be doing some extra 10% water changes on my 90 gallon. All numbers are good, zeros for Amm, Nitrite, Nitrates. Spec gravity is good.

This is the final fish in my tank, and based on my reading can be a more delicate fish to keep. I'd like to hear some advice, things to watch for, things to feed etc regarding this species. I am just looking for extra material to add to my research so far.

I am currently offering Graze, Formula 1, Krill, Mysis, and First Flake.

So far, he seems to like either the krill or the mysis. He will take a bit of the Graze (spirulina based), and he spits out the First Flake.

He is grazing a small amount on algea on the sand.

If I am missing anything, let me know.

Kevin

sheni_angel
02/14/2002, 12:49 AM
Hope all goes well for you. I'm interested in seeing your guy come through this on top as that is my favorite tang, and exactly what I want for my last fish!!! Good luck to you, and I'll learn as well.:)

LoneRegister
02/14/2002, 12:57 AM
I'll try and keep you up to date on what happens and how I do.

Right now - he looks pretty good. But, his stomach is pretty empty, shallow. I am assuming that it's a symptom of shipping etc.. He is eating, so I take comfort in that. However, I'd like him to be eating more aggresively.

sheni_angel
02/14/2002, 01:03 AM
I've always gotten severely warned of Ich for the Powder Blue!! Extremely susceptible. They are sooo beautiful though and I know he'll make a great addition to your tank when he comes through. Hope you learn all you need.:D

hcs3
02/14/2002, 04:36 PM
hi lone

you will have trouble keeping the PBT happy in a 90g tank. generally they prefer more room. these are among the more sensitive of tangs, if not the most sensitive, and thus any stress is not good.

PBT are used to high velocity water. they swim the reef crest all day long. among concerns should be your water movement and O2 saturation. make sure both are more than adequate.

feed as much algae based foods as possible. nori, spirulina, and any herbivore food. keep food available for grazing throughout the day.

first signs of problems will be pacing the glass or "surfing" the outlet of p-heads and the return. when you observe this, be prepared for ick.

HTH

henry

LoneRegister
02/14/2002, 04:42 PM
How do you feed Nori?
Break it up into flakes?
Cut a strip and drop it in?

I am right now cutting it into a strip and then putting a plastic clothes hanger on it to keep it on the bottom of the tank so it wafts in the current.

Current should be ok, I am pumping about 1200 gph for 10-14 tank turn overs an hour.

hcs3
02/14/2002, 04:53 PM
i feed nori by rolling a strip up like a cigarette. i then either clip it to the glass using any of the readily available nori clips or rubberband it to my DIY nori feeder.

HTH

henry

rmc
02/14/2002, 06:13 PM
PBT nice fish!!! I have had mine for about 2 years now. I feed "Life Line Herbivore" and Nori. Here a pic of mine does not show how fat he is but is at least 1" wide and 6" long.

skylsdale
02/15/2002, 12:58 PM
I would also watch out for aggression between your powder blue and sailfin, especially with both of them in a 90g. Powder blues usually end up being "in charge", but the sailfin may not be too happy about that prospect.

LoneRegister
02/15/2002, 01:24 PM
Yes, I have seen some aggression on the part of the Sailfin. I am pretty conviced that he'll loose that arguement.

Things do seem to be settling down today, day #2 for the PBT. The Sailfin and the PBT had a few short "arguements" with the Sailfin initiating the discussion. However, the PBT seems to swim away, go to his hiding hole for 30 seconds or so, then he swims back out and all appears ok.

Feeding is progressing. I see more interest in the PBT's part on feeding now, however, still not where I'd like him to be. It appears that Mysis is the big winner for the PBT right now. I put some Brine Shrimp in last night, and he did eat those guys. He didn't gobble them, but he was interested in them. After that, comes Graze, which he appears to like to eat from the sand bed when it comes to rest.

In summary, so far, the PBT is eating more than he did on Day #1, and he appears to be settling down and choosing some territory. The Sailfin and him probably will have to work things out some more. I am curious, and hopeful that it will NOT progress to violence. Just some posturing, and then they settle down to accept their positions.

I would have to say though, that a 90 gallon is probably the smallest I would go for a PBT. Anything smaller would be just too darn small.

If I had to do all of this over again, I would have purchased the 120 or larger 6 foot tank. However, I think he'll be ok in the 90 for now.

I may, in the future, upgrade to a 6 foot tank, but that might be 6 months to a year off.

Kevin

LoneRegister
02/16/2002, 11:30 PM
My new PBT is **slowly** progressing. I would have to say that his stomach appears about the same, if not slightly fuller. Which makes me wonder what the true effects of not eating during capture, transport and delivery actually are.

Based on my hog six-line wrasse, dinnertime should leave a hungry fish pleasantly plump. The PBT is definately not pigging out. But he is eating.

My Sailfin Tang and the PBT have had a few clashes. However, the clashes now appear to be initiated somewhat by the PBT. This morning, I saw a big time spiralling dogfight initiated by the PBT which left the Sailfin hiding in a cave, breathing heavy. took him about 2 minutes, but he came back out and appears no worse for the wear. I did look for slash marks, as during the dogfight each fish did take lead positions and appeared to take swipes at each other. However, nobody scored a hit. After that, they have "calmed down" a bit.

Now, when the Sailfin goes for a peace of food, the PBT is sure to come in and try to eat it instead! It almost makes me think that the competition of the Sailfin in the tank is a *good* think for the PBT. Not only does the hunger instinct kick in to eat, but his instinct to compete with other fish also kicks in. In this instance chiming in as "I'll eat whatever my competitor eats so that he can't eat it!".

Mysis appears to be the food of choice for the PBT right now. Spirulina and Omega One Plant Formula Flakes do not interest the PBT. He does appear to "graze" some on the rocks and sand where algea grows. Thought it's really hard to tell if he's actually getting anything. I assume his "hits" on the rocks and sand are fruitful attempts to eat. I continue to wonder if any algea fish will actually eat hair type algeas when they have long hair.

So far, the pattern appears to be that he will eat things that are on the bottom of the tank, but not floating in the water column. Perhaps some kind of behavorial/eating issue. Since PBT's are algea eaters, perhaps he does not consider items in the water column food? And items that are sitting still fit his parameters for a "food" item?

His swimming appears strong, and he has found several places to hide, and appears to have found a home for himself behind the rockwork. He has also found my two neon yellow gobies, which have spent considerable time working him over. The PBT usually allows about 1 minute to 2 minutes of this and will then go elsewhere. He does appear to return for more later though. I do not see any signs of infection at this time. Though I have noticed he appears to have scraped the skin off his upper lip/tooth bone.

I'd really like to see his stomach fuller. But, this is day #3, so I am content that he is eating mysis. Not aggresively, but perhaps 4 to 6 mysis shrimps at a feeding.

My feeding habit of 3 to 5 times a day since adding the PBT has been a good thing I think. Algea is definately growing on the sand, so I am sure that I will be paying that price for a while longer due to the aggressive food addition to the tank. Hopefully the Turbo's, Astreas, Emerald Crabs, Lawnmower blennie, Sailfin and PBT will all find the algea growth to their liking and help keep it in check. I am also changing my filter bag aggresively, and cleaning the skimmer aggresively too.

I am planning on dropping my feedings to twice daily for the next 3 to 4 days, and then I will return back to my once a day feeding schedule after that.

I will also probably do a 5-6 gallon water change tomorrow evening, and remove the carbon bag I currently have placed in the sump.

LoneRegister
02/17/2002, 01:05 AM
A Pic

:D

sheni_angel
02/17/2002, 11:45 AM
I am so glad to hear that he is improving, and to see the photo as well. I've been reading and learning some too! Good to hear it all. BEAUTIFUL fish!!!:dance:

LoneRegister
02/17/2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks!

sheni_angel. I have been posting my thoughts and ideas about getting my PBT and watching him as I my reading indicates that he is a more difficult fish to keep and have flourish. So, hopefully my thoughts, actions successes and mistakes will help others to better understand this immensely beautiful fish.

I do appreciate your reply and letting me know that others are reading my posts! It's nice to know I might be helping in some small way!

Kevin

LoneRegister
02/17/2002, 06:50 PM
Day #4 I believe.

PBT aggresively went after mysis this afternoon. Very pleasing to see. I did cut back on the feeding, and also I cut back on the amount. My thought was that PBT is a grazer and would not gorge himself on one feeding. But rather, would eat little bits each time. My feeding this morning was normal sized and the PBT did eat a bit more actively.

I did not feed again for 6 hours, then put in just a small amount of frozen mysis. This time the PBT actively pursued and ate some.

I'll try a small feeding again in 6 hours and i'll see how he does. He is definately more at home now, and his pacing appears to have stopped. he still moves from one side of the tank to the other, but zooms in and out of the rocks, investigates spots on the rocks, and exhibits much more "random" behavior.

Initially when placed in the tank, he was fascinated with the right hand corner of the tank at the bottom. Then he progressed to pacing the front glass. (Much to my worry regarding hcs3's comment!).

As my LFS stated - he'll be king of the tank after he gets comfortable. I am starting to suspect that he is now feeling this way. But I would hesitate to state that he has taken charge yet. It was definately pleasing to see him actively chase/eat food.

My current theories/thoughts on my PBT
1) Grazes on food. Will not gorge himself in one feeding.
2) Takes quite a while to get comfortable. Much longer than any of my other fish.
3) Rather picky about food so far. Likes Mysis, and is getting to like it more and more.

What I would do differently:
1) don't overfeed the 1st 2-3 days. Do offer *light* amounts of food 2-3 times a day. Watch for interest in food, then perhaps pick it up as necessary.
2) Look for a fuller belly/stomach on the initial specimin. Or demand active/aggresive feeding in the LFS.

Things that I think are working:
1) Cleaner Wrasse/Gobies. Provide support and "triage" for emerging ich or other parasites. my PBT did not, and has not shown signs of disease. However, I do see the Neon Gobies cleaning him. I take that as a good sign.
2) Carefully watching specimin at the LFS, not accepting *any* sign of disease. Expecting the PBT to eat and watching him eat.
3) Fresh water dip of 5 minutes prior to introduction into tank.
4) Excellent water parameters.
5) Changing Filter Bag constantly while "overfeeding"

I'll post more as I get more.
Kevin

LoneRegister
02/18/2002, 05:21 PM
Day #5

fed him this morning with Mysis soaked in Hufa and he ate those. Very interested in them. Good eating. His stomach is filling out, and if he keeps eating this way, he'll be fat and happy in a couple of more days.

he is not interested in the least with flake foods. I have tried 3 different brands of veggie flake and he may taste a flake or two, but spits it back out.

He does graze on the algea on the sand, so hopefully that will keep him good, and prevent any head and line disease/erosion.