PDA

View Full Version : orangespotted shrimp goby

drav
02/14/2002, 12:29 AM
I just wanted anyone with experience with this fish to tell me about their eating habits, like will they only eat mysid shrimp and brine, or have you gotten them to eat any other type of prepared food, even possibly flake food that gets to the bottom of the tank. Any great experiences with em, anything like that would be great. My lfs has a medium sized one that is in great condition. Healthy looking, no fight marks, really looking at buying him but would like some info first.

Thanks!

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2002, 12:45 AM
Mine is shy and stays in the area of his burrow/cave.He eats any edible tidbits that drift by him down there at the bottom of my 220.I suggest ordering his commensal : a goby partner shrimp.I have also found out the hard way that many dottybacks will not tolerate these fish -even in a 220 reef!

drav
02/14/2002, 12:51 AM
Do you know any places that have those alpheid shrimp? ive looked everywhere but cant seem to find an online place that has any. Of course they could be calling them something else and I would never know it. Also do these alpheid shrimp get along with other shrimp like peppermint shrimp? I have two peppermints that i dont want them to fight with. Are there any other types of shrimp these will partner with?

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2002, 01:53 AM
drav: These shrimp are commonly called partner shrimp or pistol shrimp in the trade.I've even seen some for sale on the boards because their owners don't like their burrowing habit! Exactly what makes them so fascinating! I have the orange-spotted type goby you are referring to. My fellow reefer Playfair has the Randall's sp. See the video clip of the fish/shrimp pair on his website linked to mine. :eek2: They will not be bothered by Stenopus or Lysmata shrimps.

hcs3
02/14/2002, 04:40 PM
drav

if you can get your hands on a recent copy of AFM, scott michael just did an excellent article on shrimp gobies.

HTH

henry

SunfishFun
02/17/2002, 08:42 PM
Gary - thanks for the link to Playfair's website and the goby/shrimp video. I enjoyed seeing your tank, as well as those of Todd and Playfair. You have an incredible set-up with some unusual and beautiful corals and fish. Nice photography, too! Thanks!