PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Chemists

ReeferMac
02/13/2002, 04:47 PM
Got an awesome link from Chucker today:

From Reefs.org (http://www.reefs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=034063)

Killer way of killing Aiptasia...
I know there's a lot of us with several of them, but I've pretty much got first place all wrapped up, so I figured I'd be the one to investigate..

Can't buy the stuff at Science Kit, I already asked. Gotta be a teacher or other educator. Printing Company's don't matter, apparently.

So I'm asking if any other folks out there in the group have access to lab grade Sodium Hydroxide. From what I've seen so far it's sold by Molar Weight, and even in small quantities, that's 10x what all of us together will ever need. So if anyone is familiar with this stuff, thinks they can get some from work, or other less-nefarious means, I would be seriously interested in obtaining some...
I promise I won't ask where you got it from.
(and no, they don't have it at my work either, I already checked).

- Mac

KBCobra
02/13/2002, 05:14 PM
Great post,you could probably order it from Science Kit and Boreal or the like. I have one xenia rock that has aiptasia on it now and have been trying to control it with boiling water and a syringe, but I think im just going to give up on the piece of rock, cut the xenia, re-attach it to some smaller rocks and soak the old rock piece in freezing water (an effective method of killing xenia and everything else). After freezing your cleanup crew should remove the dead material.

-Pat

ReeferMac
02/13/2002, 05:25 PM
Can't buy the stuff at Science Kit, I already asked. Gotta be a teacher or other educator. Printing Company's don't matter, apparently.

(I lied and told them I needed it for an experiment at work).

Emailed them today. They don't have exceptions to their policy. Sodium Hydroxide (in all the forms they sell it), is listed as a "Restricted" item, only to be sold to Educators and University's, school systems, etc...

I wish they did, they used to have a warehouse/counter in Tonawanda, I picked up some glassware there once. Just walk in with catalog numbers, they have it. I'm tempted to try and go in there, ask for it, and pretend like I forgot my "Teacher's ID card", see if they'll sell it. I've a feeling the bloke working the counter that day won't know about the policy let alone care.

Was over in the Town of Ton. by the golf course, behind Military Road.

Know of any other "Chemical Company's" like them that might have a web page?

- Mac

saltwaterfishlover
02/13/2002, 08:23 PM
i dont know but from the sounds of it, it dont sound to healthy for us to...

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/s4034.htm

ToddsReef
02/13/2002, 08:24 PM
I can get it but not until a week from this coming Monday.

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/13/2002, 11:17 PM
man after reading the msds i dont see anyone wanting to put that in there reef.... eeekkkkk :eek1: Corrosive?? as if salt aint bad enough at eating everything.. i dunno but ill pass.. wonder what that would do to ph levels?? considering acid being corrosive if it would raise the ph?? just a thought

saltwaterfishlover
02/13/2002, 11:25 PM
I think I will stay with using kalkwasser and a syringe......

stab stab squirt squit die you little (*%&#)!@&%)&%!!!!!!

Gary Majchrzak
02/14/2002, 12:06 AM
I think you all know MY answer!

saltwaterfishlover
02/14/2002, 07:23 AM
Check this out.... if you really want some....

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1073730984

Chucker
02/14/2002, 08:45 AM
wussies! :p :rolleyes: :p

I used tons of the stuff in college during a lake trout study, and only burned myself once or twice, and not even that bad. I've had much worse experiences with boiling HCl.

BTW, if you re-read the thread on reefs.org, you'll find that the original poster didn't experience any problems with pH spikes either.

Zmann
02/14/2002, 01:56 PM
If its acidic it will lower your ph.:smokin: Kevin why don't you try my under water blow torch I just bought for 3 easy installments of 19.95. I ordered it as soon as I heard about it so they included the u/w laser attachment for free. Let me know!! I tried it this morning on a golf ball size bubble algae and it burned it down to nothing in a matter of seconds and the torch was only half open. Tonight I will try the laser attachment on some of those coral eating starfish. I'll let you know the results.

You could always try the Zmann method of killing aptasias. THE PORCH!!!

ReeferMac
02/14/2002, 04:58 PM
Hmmm... underwater blowtorch...

- Mac

kcolagio
02/19/2002, 01:03 PM
Mac,

Strange as it may seem, they do have them.

They are used for salvage operations under water. The O2 and whatever causes the flame are piped or tanked down.

saltwaterfishlover
02/19/2002, 02:06 PM
CHECKED A FEW PLACES AROUND TOWN AND YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE WHERE YOU CAN BUY IT OFF THE COUNTER.
CHECK ANY WINE MAKING SUPPLY STORE. THEY USE IT IN THE ACID TEST FOR WINE. I THINK AN OUNCE OR 2 FOR $2.40 MAY NOT BE EXACTLY SAME STRENGTH BUT COULD WORK...GONNA PICK SOME UP NEXT PAYDAY.....

BURN BABY BURN.....

OOPS SORRY ABOUT CAP LOCKS

ToddsReef
02/19/2002, 05:21 PM
If you want it for free I will have it on Monday.
Todd

ReeferMac
02/19/2002, 05:46 PM
Thanks Todd... I've got some over here compliments of Chucker, but I can't imagine it would hurt to have more. I've got lots of buggers to kill....

- Mac

Stoli
02/20/2002, 06:58 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Kalk and syringe method. I had a serious infestation (dozens if not more) and within a few days, and some patience, killed them all. They still pop up occasionally (I'm looking at a couple at the moment) but the kalk seems to work every time.

Stoli
02/20/2002, 07:00 AM
Oh, and BTW, I've got two or three peppermint shrimp. Don't think they do too much to kill existing Apt's but I think they control new ones.

Gary Majchrzak
02/20/2002, 09:48 AM
For all the non-chemists and those into biological control of aiptasia/curly-q anemones,you know I keep a copperband in my 220 to keep these pests in check.I am currently monitoring a system where we placed a large Threadfin/Auriga butterfly to do the same. Stay tuned as we research what other inverts this fish attacks..as it is greedily slurping up aiptasia from the moment introduced.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/20/2002, 10:00 AM
There's no need to buy lab stuff. Drain cleaner (lye) is fine.

We discussed this issue briefly here at RC in the chemistry forum:

http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=65124

ToddsReef
02/25/2002, 08:11 AM
I have lab grade NaOH if you want some. Unfortunately the tablets are not a uniform size though so we need access to an accurate scale to get the correct molar concentration. Let me know.
Todd

ReeferMac
02/25/2002, 01:01 PM
hehehe, C'mon Todd, you don't know anyone with a Balance?

Each Tablet contains a fixed amount though, doesn't it? Can't you dilute it by volume in water, and split the stuff up that way? It's been a while since I've done anything chemistry related, but I thought you could always do that given the molar weight of the sample...

- Mac

ToddsReef
02/25/2002, 01:25 PM
Kevin,
You can absolutely adjust concentration based on gram molecular weight, the problem is that the tablets are not uniform in size so we need to weigh them out. I suppose I could find a balance someplace but if somebody has easy access that would be better.
Todd

ToddsReef
02/25/2002, 01:26 PM
Hmmm....now I gotcha...a little slow today :)