PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Neon Gobies

Personifier
09/25/2000, 06:01 PM
I have finally decided to try and breed some neon gobies. I am planning on getting 6-8 of them and letting them pair up.I would appreciate any web sites, books or any info anyone has on raising the fry.

Thanks,

Jeff

hcs3
09/25/2000, 08:30 PM
i personally recommend not to attempt the neon gobies as your first marine breeding attempt. reason being they are so small that food is hard to come for the fry. something like banggai cardinals is a great first attempt. super easy, and many have done this already so advice is plentiful - myself and frank included. the single greatest effort for neon gobies would be getting the fry enough food. this is the case with so many marine fish. but if you still want to breed the neon, try looking up the breeder's registry. it's bound to have accounts of these guys. my understanding is that they breed very regularly in captivity.

HTH

henry

FMarini
09/25/2000, 11:17 PM
Hi:
I agree w/ henry on this one. If your not versed on raising extra small foods, like rotifers, or zooplanktons, then I would pass on these small fish. I think other excellent choices would be clownfish, psuedochromis, or banggais. Clownfish are easier to sex(as are psuedos), both provide some parental care in bringing the eggs to hatching, there are books written specifically on raising these fish, and they provide step-by-step how-to's on food raising which is rotifers, baby brine, then fish foods.
Another good fish to try is banggai cardinalfish, they represent another alternative, in that they are impossible to sex, but do pair up, do spawn frequently in captivity, provide decent parental care, and release fry large enuf to feed baby brine from the start. If you want more information on these fish check out:http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml
If your really stuck on neon gobies, i recall seeing a post at the breeders registry on these.
good luck w/ your choice
frank

Personifier
09/26/2000, 04:53 PM
I know it is going to be hard but it is something I've always wanted to try. I started looking into breeding them about a year ago but decided the time wasn't right. I think I'm ready now, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get into the breeders registry web site for about a week now.

Jeff