PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys heard about this place?

frivera28
02/13/2002, 09:58 AM
http://www.officeaqua.com

I bought a 135 oceanic rr, stand and canopy for about $1000.

The stuff I bought is new but there was some minor damage.

I just thought I would let people know.

Also when I priced the same exact stuff at tropic Isle it was more than double the price.

Ken2001
02/13/2002, 10:32 AM
Yep, Marco67 told me about it at the last meeting. I looked through their stuff, didn't see what I need (150 RR Oceanic).

BTW, you paid $1,000 for a scratch & dent Oceanic and consider that cheaper than Tropic Isle? I know that I can get a 150 RR Oceanic + stand (but not canopy) from Tropic Isle for $820. In fact, that's where I'm leaning towards buying one from.

K

tstone
02/13/2002, 10:53 AM
You should be able to make an offer on the scratch and dent stuff. If you point out that you can get a brand new 1st quality from Tropic Isle for less, they should get right on there pricing of the scratch and dent. It doesn't hurt to make an offer. Just my 2 cents

frivera28
02/13/2002, 11:51 AM
just got off the phone with tropic isle

Here are their prices:
135 gal rr oceanic + stand + canopy = $1676 + tax
150 gal rr oceanic tank = $1229
150 gal oceanic stand = $649

So if my calculations are correct

$1676
~$1000
---------------
$676 in savings.

Ken2001
02/13/2002, 09:18 PM
Huh, dunno what to say. I was at Tropic Isle two weeks ago and looked at the 150 RR Oceanic and was quoted $820 for tank and stand. Maybe there was a sale going on (though that would be a pretty steep discount), but that was the price quoted to me while I was there and looking at the tank.

joecancer
02/13/2002, 11:29 PM
not sure but maybe it was one of the used tanks they have up front? they sell some used systems at tropic isle, the tanks are usually right by the door.

Vilas
02/14/2002, 09:56 AM
Remember, for a used system, you have to make sure medications containing copper were never used in it. Saves a lot of headaches down the line! There is a washing procedure outlined by Dr. Ron to remove all traces of copper form a tank, but it sounds like more of a pain than it's worth.
C

Violin
02/14/2002, 11:10 AM
Try either Inland reef, Fintastic fish, or Little shop for pets for
a quote on Oceanic tank. I went through the price comparison 2
years ago when I purchased my Oceanic 200. I remember the
figures I got from the various shops are toughly as following
LSFP ~$1600
Fintastic fish ~$1900
Inland Reef ~$2100
Tropic Isle ~$2600
Sea World ~$3000
That Fish Place(in PA, need to pick up) ~$1400

Eventually I got my Oceanic 200 setup from LSFP, however,
they refused to deliver the tank/stand/canopy for me so I had
to hire movers to pick up the setup, which cost me $200.

Anyway, the quotes I got were 2 years old, so they may not
reflect the current market price. Oceanic tend to have special
promotion periodically. Therefore, it won't hurt to monitor the
prices at regular basis if you really want one but not desperately
need one.

SkimmedOut
02/14/2002, 06:34 PM
I haven't bought a tank at OfficeAqua, but I've been there a couple times. The last time I went I intended on buying a couple of ball valves for a simple sump I have, but after talking to the owner/manager, he convinced me I didn't need them. And he was right. So he saved me money by being honest and friendly. That kind of service is hard to find.

Ken2001
02/18/2002, 05:37 AM
OK, I went to Office Aquaria yesterday, and Tropic Isle too. Looks like, if you don't mind a couple of scratches on the trim, Office Aquaria is definately the price performer.

I had the pricing wrong on the 150 Oceanic at Tropic Isle -- $820 was the RR tank w/ glass top and strip lights only. The stand is an additional $600 or so. The sales clerk I talked with the previous time I was there gave me the price for the tank only even though I asked (twice, since I wanted to double check what seemed like a super low price) for the price for tank AND stand. I talked with Steve (their main fish guy) and made sure I got the straight dope.