PDA

View Full Version : Color enhancement agent Naturose, any good?

bcjm
02/12/2002, 08:28 PM
Expensive stuff. $89 for one kg. Is there anything else that works and cost less?

FMarini
02/12/2002, 09:50 PM
Hi:
colored food dye # 4.....
any idea what Naturose is? beside a trade name for an artifical color. Do you have some sort of chemical compositon?
It sounds like a sugar or carbohydrate compound, but I can't say for sure
frank

bcjm
02/13/2002, 01:06 AM
The is used for tank raised fish. Aquatic Eco-system sells them.

FMarini
02/13/2002, 01:28 AM
Hi:
this information doesn't help me. Since you have used it previously, do you have any information on this product from the container or product insert sheet?

Here is what aquatic ecosystem says about it
NatuRose
NatuRose is the first commercially-available, microalgae-based source of natural astaxanthin. It is derived from Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae and contains 1.5 percent natural astaxanthin. NatuRose is extremely effective for pigmenting salmonoids, sea bream, prawn, and for fresh and saltwater tropical fish. It has demonstrated beneficial results with shrimp larvae, broodstock and bivalves, such as abalone.

Its a naturally occuring color. An equivalent would be caxanathin found in color ehancing foods. what is you purpose? to color your fish? According to the above statement, this product is used to pigment fish or inverts
frank

bcjm
02/13/2002, 09:14 AM
I have never used this product. I am rearing my fry. I would like to feed them some color enhancing food.

Laura D
02/13/2002, 03:00 PM
Ok, I have no comment on the product you mention, never heard of it before.

But. . .

I have a few observations.

I have found that salmon flesh really promotes vivid colours in fishes. I read a comment to that effect by Scott Michael, and started making my hommade food out of at least half salmon flesh. I found that my anthias coloured up wonderfully, and when I substituted another fish in my mix ( it takes about six weeks to use up a batch) the anthia faded, only have colour return shortly after reintroducing salmon to it's diet.

ranaman
02/13/2002, 07:51 PM
You can get small quanities of natru- rose from brine shrimp direct http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com
If you want all the technical info see http://www.cyanotech.com
This product is a astaxathin from an algae. Never found out if my friend tried it on the flamingos. Alot of seahorse people think this is Ocean Rider's Vibrance. HTH