PDA

View Full Version : Where can I collect some good 'live' sand here in South Florida?

Newreeflady
02/12/2002, 08:11 PM
I need add some sand fauna to my dsb. I was hoping to collect a little bit from an area around here (east coast, ft laud area) in an unpolluted area. Does anyone know where I could find good sand at?

Thanks for any help:D

Angela.

billsreef
02/13/2002, 10:12 PM
Any place with a good clean beach away from any commercial concerns or ports should do just fine. You might want to check on the collecting laws though, Teresa and Roy Hernandon of Sea Critters mentioned needing a dredging permit to collect LS when I met them at MACNA.

ic_spotz
02/13/2002, 11:43 PM
Newreeflady,

You aren't technically allowed to collect live rock in state waters. I don't know if the FWC (formerly Marine Patrol) would consider a few gallons of sand the same as harvesting 'Live Rock'. State waters extend out three miles. On the east coast of the Ft.Lauderdale area, three miles puts you in about 400 feet of water depending on your latitude. What I've 'heard' ;) that 'some' :wavehand: people do, is to go to the end of Commercial Blvd. early on a weekend morning and find a parking spot.... north of the Anglin pier is good. There's a reef about 40 yards offshore. It's only 10 to 12 feet deep. If you dive it's a cinch...if you're snorkling it's only slightly harder. Go out to the edge of the reef and fill a few ziplocks with sand. The 'substrate out there is a mix of fine sand, shells, and some larger pieces. There's plenty of live stuff in it also. It's definitely good enough to seed a sand bed or depending on how many trips you want to make you could build the entire bed. I filled our first tank with water from there. It worked well...cycled in no time.

SeeYa
ICSpotz

Newreeflady
02/14/2002, 02:01 PM
Thanks! If anyone wants to take me scuba diving, just let me know;)

Thanks for the help:D
Angela.