PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater

lcasey7635
07/23/2005, 10:34 AM
I am planning to start a reef tank. I have been involved with freshwater tanks for a while and really want to try my hand at a saltwater tank. I have been reading lots of books and surfing the web for info. Any suggestions on books or sites that will give me real info. Lots of stuff on the web is designed to sell something. I want facts. Not ads. Thanks in advance.

Below Sea Level
07/23/2005, 11:49 AM
Welcome to SALTWATER!! an of course this forum. here are a couple of suggestions to get you started:

1) The NEW MARINE AQUARIUM by Michael Paletta - This is like the ultimate bible for starters.

2) THIS very form. The Reef Central forum is filled with information from many people. there are beginner forums where you can feel comfortable asking any question. This particular WTMRAC branch of that forum is also filled with LOTS of people more than willing to help in every way.

Dave
BSL

lcasey7635
07/23/2005, 12:05 PM
I have already read it. AM currently reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. Pretty good reading in both.

Below Sea Level
07/23/2005, 02:33 PM
Yes that is definately another good read.
Sounds like you are really doing a lot of research which is excellent. I can also tell you that you will receive a LOT of different advice from everyone and you will soon see once you get setup that some things will work for you and some will not. It seems very much that every tank is a different personality all on its own.

Dave

Codeman00
07/23/2005, 11:53 PM
I have read both books...I will have to say, both of them will get you going in the right direction. There's a lot of the supplementary info is here on RC. Good luck!

Rendos
07/24/2005, 09:43 AM
Welcome to WTMRAC forum. I hope you consider joining the aquarium club...you can definitely learn a lot from our members.

lcasey7635
07/24/2005, 05:45 PM
I hope to come to the meeting in August at Kermits Reef. Please let me know the time and date. Thanks.

just dave
07/24/2005, 05:47 PM
Look here. (http://jamrac.org/)

cschumaker
07/24/2005, 10:00 PM
Hope to see you there =) Feel free to ask any questions you have, odds are one or more of us have wondered the same thing at one time or another.

luckyfish
08/08/2005, 03:26 PM
Enough of this upbeat stuff! Tell him like it is:

Give up all other hobbies(no money for them).

Carry pictures of your family (people will want to know if you have other living creatures in you home besides what's in your tank).

Begin to develop explanations to others why mushrooms at the grocery cost a couple of bucks for a pack but you gladly pay thirty bucks for one (and you will be excited that it is hairy).

To save money DO NOT FILL YOUR TANK WITH WATER. Rather, evry couple of days throw in twenty bucks and at the end of the week, set it on fire. It will be cheaper.

Join the reef club.