PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate problem

Reefdiver77
07/19/2005, 06:55 AM
For about a week now, I have had a spike in my Nitrate levels.
My parameters are:Nitrite0, ph 8.2, ammonia0, nitrates 15,
sg 1.025. This has never happened before. In my tank I have 2 Clowns, a Royal Gramma, a Watchman Goby, Pistol Shrimp, Blood Red Shrimp, Emerald Crab. Various and sundry hermit crabs, nacirrius, astrea, margarita and mexican turbo snails and maybe some other snails I can't remember. I feed my fish small amount of formula one and two sinking pellets daily. Brine shrimp every couple of weeks, Zooplex to tank weekly, Iodine weekly, Reef Chili every other day and Calcium Buffer A&B on alternating days. At the suggestion of my son, I am only feeding my fish every 3 days, only giving half as much as usual of the reef chili every 3 days, No Zooplex. I am alternating the filter medium in my wet/dry sump every day I have 2 pieces and wash in very hot water and let air dry between changes. I have changed out 20 gal of water in my 43+ gallon system over the last week, all with no change in the Nitrates. Everything in the tank seems to be doing really well. However, I know eventually the Nitrates will start to adversly effect them. I just know thought about the round foam that is in the back of the overflow around the pipe that goes down to the sump. I have never cleaned it. I think I will do this next. Any other suggestions? TIA

The Reef Down Under
07/19/2005, 07:13 AM
Any of the sponges or foam can catch waste and food and hold it, that will make your nitrate climb. Is your skimmer working good?

just dave
07/19/2005, 08:54 AM
One thing you should see is what your test kit reads nitrate as.
Does the kit read it as nitrate-nitrogen or as nitrate ion. I know many sources tell one to strive for nitrate at less 'n 1ppm ,though that is really not nec. IMO (more on this later), but that 1ppm is as nitrate-nitrogen not the nitrate ion. That means if your kits scale is reading as nitrate-nitrogen and you get a 4ppm reading, it is 16ppm as the nitrate ion. Conversely that 4ppm read as the nitrate ion would be 1ppm as nitrate-nitrogen. In either case if 1ppm nitrate-nitrogen or less is what you are striving for, your not there. But if your kit is reading the nitrate ion ,you are a lot closer.

One also has to wonder about why you have a sudden rise as opposed to a gradual rise. I'll cover some possibilities later.

Rendos
07/19/2005, 10:15 AM
Have you tested the nitrates of your water that you use for topoff, and for mixing new salt water? The reason I ask is that a 10% water change should reduce nitrates by 10%...and so on. The amount of water changed should be in direct proportion to the amount of nitrates removed. It is nothing more than dilution of a solution. That leads me to believe your test kit is not working corectly, or the water you use to replace topoff and make new saltwater has nitrates in it.

just dave
07/19/2005, 11:47 AM
.........or you've used something that is causing a false reading.
I have not worried about( or tested for) nitrates for many years. Elevated levels can cause excelerated growth in some animals BUT you must make sure that your alk. and Ca are within accepted parameters.

Rendos
07/19/2005, 12:18 PM
aaahhh...this is true. I knew having you as a member would prove useful eventually.

Thanks Dave

Reefdiver77
07/19/2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys. I checked the round sponge filter in my overflow and it was gross. I washed it really good in hot water, but probably need to get a new one. I checked my fresh salt water and top off water last night and both were zero. Dave, my kit measures measures the nitrates as nitrate ions, which I guess is more accurate. (Chemistry was my weak point in Nursing School).
I will give it another day and see if the decreased feeding and putting new filter in sump and cleaning the one in the overflow will help. Will keep you posted on how things are progressing.

cschumaker
07/19/2005, 08:53 PM
I would also imagine you are killing a chunk of good bacteria using hot water to rinse your sponges. You may try using tank temperature water to remove the large matter. The dying bacteria will just create more nutrients.

I haven't connected everyone's name on here with their faces, but did you get any frags at the meeting? If so, the mucus (if any) could be one cause though I'm not sure what the makeup is and how nutrient rich it is. I know it feels pretty nutritious. =)

Reefdiver77
07/19/2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, I was at the meeting and did get frags, but I had the spike several days prior to getting them. Also, I just started washing the filters in the hot water and the nitrates levels were up prior to that. Really wondering if the foam filter I cleaned this afternoon could be a major culprit. Was having problems getting water to flow through my fuge, but just figured that out. It is tough not having a husband who is into my tank like I am. I have to figure it out myself or ask my son per email or phone. Ya' just need advice from a guy at times! I do not claim to be technical in any way but was so proud of myself when I hooked up my SCWD by myself. This has truly been a learning experience. Thanks to all of you have replied. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. All is doing well in the tank including my golden maximus clam and green carpet anemonae.

just dave
07/20/2005, 12:47 AM
Divide your test kit reading by four and that is your nitrate reading as nitrate-nitrogen.

Rendos
07/20/2005, 09:12 AM
Just a question for discussion. I know everyone has their own way of doing things, and they all have their own success or failure stories, but...here goes.

Why do people use any sponges at all in their tanks? I do not because no matter how often you clean/replace them, they always get dirty and more times than not, cause a buildup of detritus which leads to nitrates. I wonder how many people do or do not use sponges in their reef systems.

Anyone???

willember
07/20/2005, 09:28 AM
The sponge in my system is at the overflow to the sump. I guess its there for 2 reasons. 1 to prevent stuff from getting stuck in the pipe and 2, the next thing in line is a fine micron sock with carbon, so the sponge is a course filter infront of the carbon.

cschumaker
07/20/2005, 10:59 AM
I have 2 sponges in my refugium, but they are just floating there for the pods to live in. They seem to love it for some reason so I guess it is like a condominium complex for them. Other than that, I don't have any others.