PDA

View Full Version : Territory

The Badger Princess
02/11/2002, 01:16 PM
I decided to keep a small aquatic badger with my mimic octopus. Do you think they will fight over territory ?

I have noticed the octopus has already tried to mimic the badger with some success.

cephalopoder
02/11/2002, 02:14 PM
Judging by the size ratio it won't be long till Mr. badger becomes octo food.

Reefette
02/11/2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Badger,

Forgive my ignorance...is that a REAL fur covered mammal in your tank? Please tell us about it.

Where do these things come from
Where did you get it
How big does it get
How much/what does it eat
What kind of filtration do you have for its waste
Does it need air and how do you keep it from "getting away"

Sorry for all the Q's, but your picture just FLOORED me!:eek1:

Oh, by the way...welcome to RC!! :D

Reefette

OctoMonkey
02/11/2002, 02:42 PM
Dear Badger
I am very interested to see that someone has had the brainwave of keeping mammals and cephalopods together. I cant understand why more people on this site are not doing it?????

Personally I would like to try keeping an aquatic Egyptian Fruitbat along side A blue ring octopus. I beleive that the octo would do a good job of eating up all the uneaten fruit left by the bat.

Out of interest, is there any chance you could try adding a selection of different animals beside your mimic? I would be intererested to see an octopus mimic something like an anteater or perhaps a reticulated fire monkey from Gazikbastan...
please keep us up to date.......

Take care
Your brother.

cephalopoder
02/11/2002, 02:53 PM
I think the minature aquatic badger is in line to be added on the protected animal list along side the pacific northwest tree octopus.
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html
If I remember correctly some scientist years ago cross breed a otter and badger to be part of a german circus side show. It got accidently released into the wild and reproduced on a small scale. The rumors that the aquarium trade got its hands on some seems to be true.

The Badger Princess
02/11/2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Reefette

Where do these things come from
Where did you get it

I caught this one digging in my garbage bin.

How big does it get

I believe in the wild they can grow up to 5 feet long.

How much/what does it eat

It eats worms

What kind of filtration do you have for its waste

em, scoop it out with a net.

Does it need air and how do you keep it from "getting away"

It does need air, but I have supplied it with a snorkle. It doesnt seem to keen to use this all the time tho. It's a little bit shy. Regarding "getting away" the rusty nail in the big stick method seems to work pretty well so far

Oh, by the way...welcome to RC!! :D
Reefette

asch803
02/13/2002, 01:05 PM
please tell me this is a joke....and it's not even April 1st yet....and the tree octo?? this just seems a little too strange to be true....