PDA

View Full Version : Sump, refugum, or both?

zoomfish1
07/17/2005, 07:44 PM
Question--if one has a large enough sump, why would you need a refugum? Seems that if the sump had enough compartments, you could utilize everything in the sump with no need for a fug. When I bought this system used, it had a 30g sump and a HOB refugum of about 4g. I haven't installed it because I can't see that it would do anything the sump couldn't take care of. Am I not understanding the purpose of the fug? I figure the sump is also the fug.

Alphabet
07/18/2005, 12:20 AM
Do a search for sump/refugium, and or try meleves reef site that should help answer some questions. hth

keckles
07/18/2005, 06:40 PM
Refugiums and sumps have two completely different purposes in a tank. A sump is used to somewhat add water volume and basically hide the majority of the equipment in the tank. This is where skimming, heating, dosing, etc. are done, rather than being done directly in the tank where it could be seen. A refugium uses a macroalgae to feed from the nutrients in the water. It also provides a safe place for copepod, amphipod, etc. reproduction, which then increases the population of "pods" in the main tank. These pods are a primary/major food source for some marine organisms, and the dominant herbivores of the ocean feeding on different phytoplanktons and other sources of plant matter.

The sump, when filled with a macroalgae, can be combined into a sump/refugium. But, a sump itself is not a source of filtration. Basically, they have two different purposes, and you should have the most success using a combination of the two. Good luck with your decision :)

zoomfish1
07/18/2005, 08:30 PM
OK, I get the purpose of the refugum, but could you not use one of the compartments in the sump for that purpose. The way my sump is set up is the first compartment is filled with rock pieces and this is the supply side. Second compartment I have Chaeto, some live sand, next section I have some filter floss, then in the last section is the pump. The tank has been running for 2 weeks (sand, rock, etc.. from 2 other tanks ) and I know more biological will occur as it ages. Will macroalges not develop in the sump?

keckles
07/19/2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by zoomfish1
Will macroalges not develop in the sump?

Yes, they will. The type of enclosure is irrelevant provided that there is sufficient lighting available to the algae.

Originally posted by keckles
The sump, when filled with a macroalgae, can be combined into a sump/refugium.