PDA

View Full Version : July Meeting went great!

bshumake
07/17/2005, 01:02 AM
Hello everyone, Barrett here.
Well for those of us who did (and didn't) make it here is a rundown of what happend. Richard started off with welcoming everyone and we did a quick vote for offices in the club. Richard Rendros is El Presidente, Charlie Schumaker (my brother from another mother) is the Vice Pres, and myself (Barrett "B-diggity dog x3 Oops-pow-suprise" Shumaker) will be filling dual roles of the Treasurer and Secretary. Yes I know what your saying, "How can he do this? Its just to much!" Well, it will have to be done until we find a Secretary, and i'm dead sexy in a skirt. We then went into the fragging of the specimens. The basics were covered and I think we got a really nice variety of specimens to demo the different methods on. There are more ways to mount a frag but they begin to get more tiresome and aren't quite worth the effort. I think most everyone made out like bandits with our frags. Now I know some frags were pretty small but given time and patience they will get huge (Mont cap and star polyps especially). Dave at Below Sea Level is going to house the left over pieces and use them to entice more members with frag bribes for a membership. Quite clever that Dave is.
To the best of my knowledge the next meeting will be here in Memphis at a members home on Mud Island. Our topics have yet to be worked out but suggestions are always welcome, they might be topics for future meetings.
I did a quick head count and I believe we have added 20 new members to bring our membership to 38. Now that is impressive! I would like to thank Dave for letting us crowd up his store and eat his food. As well as all the plastic bags for frags and the general ribbing he had to endure from all of us. As a member we get a discount at Below Sea Level so if you haven't been there I suggest you drop my and have a look. The spending frenzy commenced before Charlie and I could get the fragging going and Dave got trampled a couple of times (sorry bout that, their 13's and its kind of hard to miss when your covering that much area).
On a presonal note, I forgot to get a piece of my Clove polyp before I left. If anyone has some to spare could I please get some?

The Reef Down Under
07/17/2005, 07:28 AM
Hey Barrett, That was a great meeting and to thanks to Dave for the use of the store. I think i speak for all of us( No, we would rather not see you in a skirt), but i have some clove polyps i can get you some frags of....

Below Sea Level
07/17/2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I really enjoyed myself and was glad to meet and welcome in so many new members.

My store is available anytime, but by the looks of our growth it won't be near big enough for groups. I am looking into an empty building next to my store that maybe we could use for one night when the meetings are in this area. I will keep everyone posted on that.

Dave

Rendos
07/17/2005, 09:13 AM
Okay...Barrett you stay up way too late, and Craig and Dave are up way too early.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made our second meeting such fun to have. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to all my fellow reefers in the area.

I would like to suggest that we cover some basics in the next few meetings to get the beginners caught up with the rest as far as lighting, water quality, filtration, etc. I feel that some of the beginning hobbyists feel left out and maybe even confused when we talk about more advanced topics without explaining the basics first.

The newsletter this month will include an article I wrote quite a while back on reef tank lighting. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject.

bshumake
07/17/2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by The Reef Down Under
i have some clove polyps i can get you some frags of....
Well thats very nice of you. Are you open on Sundays?

Codeman00
07/17/2005, 11:15 AM
It was a great meeting...all you guys that brought stuff to frag..THANK YOU! I now have a great start to my tank..and it was nice to know how to cut up our own corals and properly glue them to rubble (had no idea how to do this before).

cateyes
07/17/2005, 01:14 PM
hey everyone.... i agree the meeting was great, well worth the drive!!! and thanks to all who donated corals to frag! i'm very pleased with my freebees and the Hectors Gobie i picked up.. all look great this morning!!
it was fun to met with others that share the same interests and hear new ideas.. i'm looking forward to the meeting next month..
see ya,,,lisa

oh yeah,,, thanks Dave for letting us meet at your place!! your store is great,, my gobie looks very happy this morning!! :)

The Reef Down Under
07/17/2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by bshumake
Well thats very nice of you. Are you open on Sundays? Hey my brother from another mother, no im not but i will save you a frag.....

The Reef Down Under
07/17/2005, 05:02 PM
[i]Originally posted by pikey
Okay...Barrett you stay up way too late, and Craig and Dave are up way too early.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made our second meeting such fun to have. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to all my fellow reefers in the area.

I would like to suggest that we cover some basics in the next few meetings to get the beginners caught up with the rest as far as lighting, water quality, filtration, etc. I feel that some of the beginning hobbyists feel left out and maybe even confused when we talk about more advanced topics without explaining the basics first.

The newsletter this month will include an article I wrote quite a while back on reef tank lighting. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject. :::bum: The rooster crows early at my house

Below Sea Level
07/17/2005, 05:12 PM

To be honest I usually stay up till about 3am and get up at 7-8 but last night I was so tired from the long day I crashed at like 11 and was up and at em by 5am..
:rolleyes:

Dave

bshumake
07/17/2005, 07:14 PM
I'm fixed to my schedule of Futurama and Family Guy on Adult swim (Cartoon Network) so that puts me going to bed about 12-1.
I have to be at work at 6am so I get up at 5. I don't sleep much.

bshumake
07/17/2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by The Reef Down Under
no im not but i will save you a frag.....
Good on ya! I'll be coming into Jackson to visit your store sometime soon. Either mid-week or on the weekend. Want me to bring a frag of something?

Reefdiver77
07/17/2005, 07:42 PM
Many thanks for an awesome meeting! You are all a great group of reefers. My frags are doing well, all except the xenia, which fell off the rock where he was glued. My son told me to stick fishing line through his base and tie him to a rock & in a few days to cut the line. Worked like a charm and now to see if he adheres to the rock. Thanks for the frags. Dave, thanks for the use of your store. Looking forward to next month.

bshumake
07/17/2005, 09:57 PM
Sewing is one of those methods I didn't bother to talk about...mostly because I had to use it on Xenia to get them to stay put. And I kill Xenia.

cschumaker
07/20/2005, 11:40 AM
Somebody in my refugium decided that xenia would be a nice snack so the frag I brought home from the meeting is no longer in existance. LOL

bshumake
07/20/2005, 12:18 PM
I lived up to my statements. All dead now!
Hey Charley, I'm gonna stop by Kermits today. Since I'm leaving some money for Richard I thought I would leave some Orange Monti cap for you later this week. Was there anything else in my tank that you wanted? I have some Orange and green digita, some mushrooms, and others. I'll get a list for you if you like.
B

Codeman00
07/20/2005, 12:49 PM
Charley wants some orange and green digita so he can give it to his good friend Cody. And if you have an orange mushroom lying around, Charley (uhhh I mean, Cody) might want one of those too.

cschumaker
07/20/2005, 01:11 PM
LOL, I was able to get a piece of your orange cap at the meeting, but I can pick up some frags for Cody if you have some spares.

cateyes
07/24/2005, 09:41 PM
hey guys, the "lobo baby" i got at the July meeting is doing great, but my purple rimed monti cap came unglued and is lost somewhere.. i've looked and looked for it but can't seem to find it... does anyone ( i think Charley or Barrett brought it) have an extra piece layin around they need to find a home for???
i know it's tacky to ask for hand outs,( grovel, grovel), but i really liked it...
thanks,,,lisa

cschumaker
07/24/2005, 10:02 PM
LOL, I just fragged off about 2/3 of the mother colony to free up some real estate for my new stuff and in preparation for re-aquascaping. I'll bring you one to the next meeting, and I can guarantee that it will be a whole lot bigger than the other you had.

cateyes
07/24/2005, 10:16 PM
thanks a lot Charley,,, i really appreciate it!!!! who knows, maybe one day my lost monti frag will blossom and i'll see him!!! HA!!
see ya at Kermits next month,, i'll drop you a reminder as it approaches...
thanks again,,,lisa

looks like you guys had a successful trip to Chattanooga!!! :)