PDA

View Full Version : free green goniopora

TheMcs
07/16/2005, 04:03 PM
We've got a green flowerpot that is taking the usual turn for the worse. We'll be upgrading soon, more flow and better skimming, both bad news for a flowerpot.
We've been trying to revive it with Liquid Life and ideal conditions. The skeleton is about the size of a raquetball. Approximately half the skeleton is showing. If you've got a lagoon style tank (low flow and low-no skimming) or have had success keeping them, please take it off our hands.

TheMcs
07/16/2005, 11:57 PM
Wow, the appeal of a doomed and dying coral is overwhelming! Special thanks to John at Tulsa Aquatics for this fine recommendation when we were newbs.

GSerg2
07/18/2005, 08:28 AM
I was told these were easy to keep when I was a newbie too. I killed two of them before I found RC and was told the truth. I can't help with your coral it wouldn't do any better in my setup but good luck.

Travis L. Stevens
07/18/2005, 08:30 AM
I haven't done any reasearch on them. If you care to enlighten me, I might be able to keep it nicely. My tank is low flow (now) and I don't have a skimmer hooked up to it.

TheMcs
07/18/2005, 06:07 PM
You'll get a ton of info from JenNKerry's Goni Project thread. They've been enormously successful with them. Upside is that if you take it and it dies, there are two cool feather dusters on the under side.

keckles
07/18/2005, 06:30 PM
If nobody wants it, I will attempt to keep it. The featherdusters alone are worth it ;)

Travis L. Stevens
07/19/2005, 08:02 AM
I would be more than happy to give it a try if you think PCs will be enough lighting. I would really like to see it live, and I know Im one of the few out there that are "filter" less. I just have a tank with rock, sand, and powerheads. Works great so far.

keckles
07/19/2005, 01:52 PM
Just remember that planktonic foods and nitrogen/phosphorus based waste products are not the same thing. If the current theory is that Goniopora sp. must be frequently fed with zooplanktonic foods, then it is going to take more than a non-filtered, "dirty" tank.

With that being said, go for it Travis, hopefully you can be one of the lucky few :thumbsup:

JENnKerry
07/20/2005, 07:11 PM
Please go to our website www.reefcraze.com for some great info on keeping this beautiful coral.

I will point out that we too were misinformed at our LFS when we got our first goni ( the green one in our avatar). After we brought it home, we did redearch only to find out exactly how hard it is to keep them. We dedicated ourselves to it. These guys can be kept but it will take some extra care and attention. Plus it doesn't hurt to get a healthy speciman as well :)
Best of luck.

Kerry

oddballs
07/20/2005, 07:25 PM
hey greg ive saved a couple of theses guys if you want id love to try and save this guy!!i saved 2 that were at sharkys floundering no pun intended!!greg give me a call.

keckles
07/20/2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by JENnKerry
Plus it doesn't hurt to get a healthy speciman as well :)

Originally posted by TheMcs
Approximately half the skeleton is showing.

Sounds like we're off to a great start. ;)
So the race is on to determine who will be the winner of the "Great Goniopora Giveaway".

edit: The questions about feeding LL Marine Plankton, I just read through your website.

oddballs
07/20/2005, 07:44 PM
i think the cyclopese are only in the marine plankton ?i think the bio and coral plankton dont have them in it i could be wrong!ive seen them ingest cyclopese before in photos i think.

JENnKerry
07/22/2005, 07:14 PM
ive seen them ingest cyclopese before in photos i think.

Here 's a picture of one of ours eating Liquid Life Marine Plankton with actinics only. You can see the food going through it's tentacle.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52604NewGoniEating-med.jpg

oddballs
07/22/2005, 09:32 PM
those are cool pics!nice to have you i n the okie area.thanks to hearing about you guys sucess ive kept a couple of theses jewels and saved 2 from certain death!thanks.

mcox33
07/22/2005, 10:11 PM
i have a 15 that is filtered but has no skimmer and a small powerhead. I've been doing fine with dendro even in my 90 for over a year now so if you want to try shipping it I'll try.

oddballs
07/25/2005, 01:26 PM
im now the proud owner !thanks mcs maybe i can get this guy to perc up??also thanks for the nepthea jena loves it!!

TheMcs
07/25/2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks to everyone willing to nurse it back. I figured Scott has had luck in the past so maybe it will be best with him.
Scott, don't frag the black juice out of the nepthea this time!

Travis L. Stevens
07/25/2005, 02:08 PM
Let's see some pictures of the Gonipora and the Nepthea. Maybe we can get some progress pictures of the Goni as it recovers. Good luck with it Scott.