PDA

View Full Version : phosphates too high

sneeyatch
07/13/2005, 07:53 PM
i've been having various small outbreaks of cyano since the beginning of summer. it started happening again just a couple of days ago. i've been getting my ro from the jungle... everything came back ok except for phosphates - reads approx. 1.5 in just the ro. i tested my water - phosphates are at 2.0!!

if anyone's getting water from the jungle, and if you're having issues, i would suggest testing it.

GGGREGGG
07/14/2005, 12:34 AM
what kind of test kit are you using? that's high enough to cause some damage in your tank, did you talk to them about what you found? i'd definitely point it out to them even though they'll probably try to say it's something on your end causing it to be that high....

spshead
07/14/2005, 11:47 AM
you could always make your own water:)

actually i used to get a small cyano outbreak from time to time but since i added my fuge a couple of months ago i have not seen it since. you could try increasing the flow in that area that helps sometimes.

sneeyatch
07/14/2005, 07:23 PM
it's really weird - the cyano is in a lot of flow at the moment and is getting near the base of my bta. every time i put my hands in there to get close, mamma clown comes out-a-biting. i haven't noticed any damge (visually), and i don't own the test kit - a buddy of mine hooked it up for me. we try to pool together between the 3 of us and share some stuff to keep costs down. i mentioned it to them, and they told me that it must have been a bad test kit. i don't think it's the case. i'm in the process of getting some phosban or phos-zorb, and i'll probably get some water from the safari for a little bit. i don't like going in there, but i know their RO is good. i gotta buy some more salt and some other maint. stuff this weekend as well. hopefully in another week, i should see some real improvement.

btw - i know phosphates inhibit coral growth, and good macros comete with bad algae types, but i didn't know (or pay attention to) phosphates could cause some damage. can someone break it down for me? simply... i've had a few beers tonight :)

thanks

sneeyatch
07/18/2005, 08:00 PM
after further tests, and other measures taken place, i added some of seachem's phosguard, borrowed the test kit, and did my usual 10% water change friday night. sucked all the red crap out that i could get too. rinsed out and cleaned all my power heads, and mechanical filtration, and added one of those new wavemakers that slips over the end of your powerhead. it's pretty cool - and was only $20 at the safari.

anyway, tested the ro water, and tested the new made-up salt water. all at 0. tested the water in the tank - probably around 2 still (salifert test). the leather has been closed up more often, but don't know if it's due to the po4, or the addition of the phosguard. i'm gonna do another 10% water change on wednesday, and replace the phosguard with some more if no further results.

now i have a question - i know that overfeeding can be a cause of po4, but (this is gonna sound stupid) will dried nori do the same thing? i try to keep a decent amount in there all the time for my lawnmower. packaging states 100% dried seaweed.

thanx