PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Diving

Carpentersreef
02/10/2002, 07:14 AM
Hi guys,
A friend of mine is going to teach me how to dive at a friends cabin (http://halfmoonhaven.com) and since the water temp is around 45 degrees, he's recommended a 14mil "farmer john" wetsuit. I'm kinda thinking a drysuit, but he says it's my choice. Which one is more comfortable?

Thanks,
Mitch:)

gregt
02/10/2002, 08:15 AM
Learning how to dive in 45 degree water? I hope you are very fit, and your friend is an excellent instructor.

Are you going to do a few dives in a heated pool first to learn the basics? The distractions of dealing with cold water make it a poor environment for learning to dive. Dry suits add even more complexity to diving which makes learning even more difficult and dangerous.

Carpentersreef
02/10/2002, 08:41 AM
Yes I am very fit;) , and we will only use the ocean for the open water portion. We will probably use a heated pool on Granville Island (in Vancouver) for the basics. He is a VERY competent instructor.
From what I understand, the thickness of a 14 mil suit restricts your movements, but one should reduce movement in order to conserve heat anyways.

Thanks,
Mitch

gregt
02/10/2002, 08:47 AM
Sorry for the words of doom. You didn't mention any other details, so as far as I could tell the guy might not even be a certified instructor.

Sounds like you've got things covered there.

I don't think you'll get any better movement out of the dry suit really. You are still wearing a rather thick suit (counting the long johns). Personally, you wouldn't get me in 45 degree water without a dry suit, but for dive training the extra complexity might not be a good idea. I'd follow your instructors lead and go what he's more comfortable with.

Carpentersreef
02/10/2002, 09:04 AM
:D

Thanks, Greg. He is certified (certifiable? ;) ) and is in the process of buying a $250k diving boat/business. He's VERY passionate about the high quality diving in and around the Queen Charolette islands, and I bought and lived on a boat on Vancouver Island for a year, so I feel I am "connected" with the climate.
Personally, I've always dreamed of diving under ice! (yes, I am crazy.:D )

Mitch

gregt
02/10/2002, 09:09 AM
I've always wanted to do it too - Once. But I won't be moving north permanently any time soon. :D

minnreefer
02/10/2002, 01:24 PM
Greg not to jump in here but if you ever are interested in ice diving, let me know, I got a big lake in our back yard and a place for you to stay.

Jon
(TRT)