PDA

View Full Version : G2 photos/settings

gregr
02/09/2002, 11:12 AM
i don't want Nikon to get all the sales ;)
just kidding... i had a Nikon 990 (til it got stolen) and it takes great pictures.
but for a little balance, and for those trying to decide what camera to buy, i suggest the G2. not [just] because i like it but because it's easy to use and takes great pictures.
this one was taken of my female gs maroon clown in her new home (added the sebae 3 days ago). no add-on lenses or anything- just a cooperative subject
greg:clown:

gregr
02/09/2002, 11:13 AM
and her couterpart, the male clownfish.
greg

jersey
02/09/2002, 11:33 AM
As usual, great pic Gregr.

Circa
02/09/2002, 01:44 PM
Frick tell me about it, those two photos are spectacular!

Did you clean the glass to help in getting a clear shot Greg? Btw do know what the size difference is between your old nikon and the new G2?

gregr
02/09/2002, 02:40 PM
thanks Jersey and Circa-
i try to keep the front of the aquarium free of algae- except at the bottom for two reasons- it's a pain in the neck to do it without scratching the tank, and the blenny likes it down there :)
re. difference in size between the nikon and canon? if you mean megapixels i think the 990 was 3 and the g2 is 4. but... as i've said in another thread- for web viewing and printing up to 8x10 3 megapixels is plenty. if you know what you're doing printing-wise (i don't) you could probably get an excellent 11x14 from a 3 megapixel camera.
this shot was taken at the lfs- too bad this fish is so blah looking
greg
;)

Circa
02/09/2002, 08:57 PM
Actually I meant physical camera size, but thanks anyway...

The picture quality is just amazing!

gregr
02/09/2002, 11:36 PM
i would have to say the G2 is probably a little heavier and "chunkier" but it has the lcd that you can twist and turn, as opposed to the 990 that just twists, if you know what i mean.
i don't know if this is a concern for you but the battery on the G2 lasts a long long time. i own two and i've never had to use the backup- even when i was in northern alaska in january!
greg

JazzMan
02/09/2002, 11:39 PM
GREGR,
What settings did you use for the maroon pics? Did you use automatic settings or manual settings?

gregr
02/09/2002, 11:50 PM
hi Jimfitz-
i had the camera set to aperture priority with the flash set to +1/3 of a stop over. i set the white balance manually by putting a white piece of paper in the same light as the fish (just set it right next to the tank so the lights hit it.
the reason for setting the flash to overexpose is to counter the brightness of the white anemone. if i hadn't the fish would be too dark and the anemone would be dull white not nice and bright.
hope this helps,
greg

gregr
02/13/2002, 12:34 AM
same camera, same clown, same anemone... same settings with the G2: aperture priority, flash, +1/3 stop compensation, manual white balance and patience. this has been my wallpaper since about 5 minutes after i took it :)
http://www.gregrothschild.com/clown89.jpg
greg

aurora
02/14/2002, 07:33 PM
I have a G1. I always have a problem with fuzziness when I get too close even in macro mode. How did you get as close-up as you did in the picture. Did you have to crop that picture to get it that close?

gregr
02/14/2002, 08:21 PM
hi Aurora-
i just went and looked- that shot was taken from about 6" away so that is within the macro range of the G1 and G2. i didn't crop that particular shot (but i do on lots of others) mainly because the fish is pretty predictable- so what i do is prefocus on the anemone (at a point roughly 1/3 of the way in) and wait for the pose i want. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't- but that method works best for me since the autofocus is not quick enough to capture a pose the moment you see it, like my EOS system is (or any autofocus system for that matter).
are you using a flash with your G1? i used a G1 for about a year before upgrading and i was able to shoot close-ups like the one i posted earlier.
you could get a set of close-up filters to help you focus closer- they are not too expensive (should be less than $50) and work pretty well.
this shot was made with the G1, and a flash on top of the camera- which makes a big difference.
hope this helps,
greg

Angel*Fish
02/27/2002, 10:53 AM
Gregr - What beautiful photos!
Your clowns look just like mine, except the male is still healing his fins...

Bob McGee
02/27/2002, 08:28 PM
OK, this is my first G2 pic my lawnmower blenny in my heavily neglected reef tank at work.

Enjoy!

Bob

gregr
02/27/2002, 11:10 PM
nice Bob!
are you enjoying your camera? i hope so. the more i use my G2 the more i am impressed by it. and the more money i save because i'm not burning film...
greg

Bob McGee
02/28/2002, 02:22 AM
Somebody stop me!!!!!!

Some of these, I am very pleased with

Bob

Bob McGee
02/28/2002, 02:22 AM
One more...

Bob McGee
02/28/2002, 02:23 AM
And another...

Bob McGee
02/28/2002, 02:26 AM
And the last one.... :)

Bob McGee
03/02/2002, 12:53 AM
Dag-Nabit! I'm going to keep this thread alive, if it's the last thing I do!

More pics! If anyone here can ID these, please emial me, or better yet, let us all know here.

I LOVE this camera!!!

SPS #1

Bob McGee
03/02/2002, 12:54 AM
SPS #2

Bob McGee
03/02/2002, 12:54 AM
SPS #3

Bob McGee
03/02/2002, 12:59 AM
The last three pictures come to you courtesty of that G2's RAW mode.

White ballance was set manually through breezebrowser as was sharpness and color saturation (both set to high)

I HIGHLY recomend breezebrowser for anyone who shoots pictures with Canon's RAW mode. If you are using a Canon camera that supports RAW, but shoot in jpg only SHAME ON YOU!!! :)

I have spent the last two nights tweaking pictures I have taken in RAW and am VERY pleased with the results!

Bob