PDA

View Full Version : Next Meeting Site

moe_k
02/08/2002, 09:43 PM
Lets start batting around ideas on where to have the next meeting. I'd like to do something outside downtown in a nod to those members out in the 'burbs.

Problem is, I don't know of a good big place out there where we can show up with buckets and not cause a panic. Or get kicked out.

Let the brainstorming begin. I can call anyplace and make arrangements. Not a big deal.

Some guidelines; plan on 20-30 people, and there should be a fishtank there so we can gawk at it.

We could do a smaller thing at someone's house. But then we'd have to restrict access. We've done that before, and I'm guessing we'll do it again. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

But lets hear ideas!

Vilas
02/09/2002, 07:50 PM
er, might be better to plan for 50-60 people, after today! What a meeting! Thanks again, Moe.
I spoke to a woman there who has contacts arranging conference rooms professionally. She and I will be emailing, she offered to help us find a conference room. I liked the idea of elks clubs, community centers, something like that. Heck, after today, we can probably afford the ritz! ;)

Marco67
02/09/2002, 07:59 PM
LOL ......Together. Looks like a great bunch ...we are looking forward to getting to know more of you in upcoming months !!

Marc-n-Jeanne

P.S. I'm really just posting this to see what the new logo looks
Anyhow Thanks to all you who worked so hard on putting this like under my sig. :D

Marco67
02/09/2002, 08:07 PM
OK so the logo didn't work ...AND my sentences got all FUBAR ???

Nice post EHHH ????

Anyone got the trick for the logo ? I tried to copy and paste the link from scavedog in this post

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=62705

?????????
Thanks

jimbos
02/09/2002, 08:27 PM
Marc,

Copy this.........img src="http://www.bostonreefers.org/images/brlogo.gif">

After you paste it in the box, you'll need to add a < sign to the very beginning just before the "i" in img.

and it should work.

moe_k
02/09/2002, 08:34 PM
Marco67,

Nevermind, Jimbos filled you in.

Marco67
02/09/2002, 08:43 PM
<

Marco67
02/09/2002, 08:46 PM
BTW this is how my first post was to read:

LOL ......Thanks to all you who worked so hard on putting this together...Anyhow Looks like a great bunch ...we are looking forward to getting to know more of you in upcoming months !!

Marc-n-Jeanne

P.S. I'm really just posting this to see what the new logo looks
under my sig.

reefrancher
02/09/2002, 09:16 PM
Thanks again to Moe and crew for organizing a great meeting today. It was nice to put the screenname to the face on a few of ya.

I stopped by Lovely Pets in Quincy and talked to the owner and hit him up for his room for the next meeting and .. he .. said .. YES :)

Here's the conditions: Can't be on Saturday, it's his busiest day. Sunday he's closed but totally up for letting us use the space.

Steve

ScavDog
02/09/2002, 11:03 PM
Great job folks. Mega turnout today. It felt pretty cool to realize the club is gaining so much interest! I will be in touch with Ian, the gentleman that is with the Brooklyn aquarium society. He offered to give us the ins and outs of organizing non-profit clubs like ours. I think this could be a useful alliance. I propose a few of us make a road trip to one of their upcoming meetings. Anyone game for this?

As for meeting places, I would have to say I would like to see a speaker. Perhaps Randy would be kind enough? A place like Lovely Pet may work well. Then again, perhaps we could entertain the idea of getting a hall. IE KFC or veterans hall etc etc.

Before I forget their was a post in the general interest where a person from the SENE Aquarium club thought that it might be cool to have a joint meeting between our 2 organizations.

Im sure I'll have some more "brain farts" to post by tomorrow.

Have a good one.

:D

beetlejuice
02/10/2002, 12:58 AM
The Lovely Pet idea is good, in my opinion, because just maybe everyone's knowledge etc. will rub off on Ken the owner and reflect in his quality of livestock etc. Also, today's meeting was really cool. I was surprised at the turnout. It was the first one I have been to and I am impressed with the way things were run, the way things are developing and the people as well. Everyone I spoke with was great and I think it's a testament to where this club can go. I want to thank everyone for the frags they gave me. Can u help but feel good when u leave with bags of stuff and have only dropped five bucks?!? Look forward to the next meeting.

ScavDog
02/10/2002, 08:55 AM
beetle, I just shceked out your profile. 3 of us that were at the meeting are from Weymouth. FYI.

reefrancher
02/10/2002, 09:03 AM
Quincy here

Vilas
02/10/2002, 09:42 AM
An idea I liked of Ian's was to have smaller groups - either special iterest or just people from the same area - to have kind of mini-meetings. Say, 6-10 people max, all into, say, seahorses, or all in the weymouth/brighton/framingham/new hampshire/whatever area. That way, it can be at someone's house, and you can get to know a few people better. This wouldn't replace the big meetings, but maybe supplement them? It might have to be on a first come, first serve basis, to keep it small. I'm just trying to imagine the whole meeting today packed into my little apartment and wondering if people would mind standing in closets. ;)

ScavDog
02/10/2002, 09:46 AM
vilas take the -grey.jpg out of the link to the logo. it is brlogo.gif now.

beetlejuice
02/10/2002, 01:27 PM
The small group idea is cool, as a supplement. For example, a meeting with the guys from Weymouth, Quincy, Hanover (Steve) etc. It would not take much preparation and would allow for even more of a local-type connection for trades, info or whatever, as opposed to meeting a bunch of people a few times a year with all the set-up, planning and confusion etc. This would be a good way for people in close proximity to meet up whenever they feel like it.

GobieWanKenobie
02/11/2002, 11:44 AM
I agree, a small local meeting/trade would be cool, I know me an scavdog have met on a couple of occasions to do some trades.

Ken2001
02/11/2002, 12:33 PM
I can probably get us set up in the meeting room at the Swampscott Yacht Club. It should hold 50 or 60 just fine. I believe the cost is about $50, so that should be pretty easy to swing if we all pony up a buck. If we want to do it there I need to know the day and the time -- the sooner the better so I can get the room locked up before someone else reserves it for something else.

For those of you who don't know where Swampscott is, it's on the North Shore about 15 miles north of Boston. It's right next to Marblehead, Salem, and Lynn.

Pyrojon
02/11/2002, 01:29 PM
A few of us spoke about possibly getting a school gymnasium or some kind of meeting room at a school. Should be cheap and easy to get on a weekend.

I have a pretty small appartment but I would be willing to host a small area (Melrose, just North of Boston) reef meeting some time.

Jon

Jake
02/11/2002, 06:24 PM
As far as a small local meeting I woould be willing to host one at my house on a weekend. I could accomidate up to 20 people. I live in Beverly near the Beverly-Salem bridge. If anyone is interested email me @ jmaki@gis.net

tstone
02/15/2002, 09:41 PM
The Grange hall in Sudbury is available most any time for 50 bucks:)