PDA

View Full Version : piscine TB ? ? new member

rus
12/25/1999, 11:31 PM
hi everyone

merry christmas , i'm new to this board but have been folling some of the questions asked and answered for a little while now and find you all to be quite informative .
i came from christmas dinner tonite to find two of my fish to have what i think is piscine TB [ this was the closest i could get from any of my books]my red tail filefish was all but dead , i found him tucked under some rocks very faded and both eyes bugged right out . i removed him right away and then noticed my white saddled clown had one eye bugged out as well . he seemed to be allright other than that though [ eating still and swimming around ]
since none of you know me i wil give you a little info on my setup :

i had a 48gal tank setup since june this year and it had been doing quite well , i decided a month ago to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank and change it over slowly to a reef setup. [ i used about 90% of my old water on my switch and live rock so i was informed i would not really need to cycle it this way ] i had added a few corals in this time , i now have around 80 - 100 # LR , bubble coral , three mushroom rocks , cabbage coral ? small carpet anenome,and what i was told is a cauliflower coral ?
fish are yellow tang , flame angel , electric blue damsel , and the clown i mentioned above [ also 10 blue legged hermit crabs ]
filteration is in tank [ not quite sure what it would be called ] but in simple terms the water flows into a small chamber with heater first then into next area with carbon bag and the thru biological filter befor returning [ no pumps at all just move thru with water move ment of the tank .
i have a seaclone skimmer [ i know not too good ] but is starting to work better lately
lighting is 440watts vho lighting [ icecap ballast . and water movement is 3 powerheads hooked to wavemaker pro .
OK ... sorry little long but i thought since you wouldn't know about my tank at all this would help with any other questions i will have [ i'm sure i'll have more lol ]
all test have cheched out fine as well [ ph 8.1 nitrate below 0 and salinty 1.020

any ideas would be extremely appreciated

thanks all [ look forward to bein a part of your board ]

smpolyp
12/26/1999, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the board.For starts aquariums are so wide a subject that mixed answers,diff setups,diff inhabitants,ect..After all we are all here because the Ocean is so big and no one will know it all,but you have us Reef Central.
First rule of thumb be honest with your testing.And give as many readings as you can.Even if you think it may be bad it may not.Honesty may find out what really is wrong.Second bulging eyes,cloudy eyes,red streaks in fish seem to be secondary infections.Meaning thier was somethingelse to start it.Mostly cryt.(ick).You said you moved this means stress to most fish so secondary infect.Basically it prob has a bacterial infection.For reef tanks it is harder to deal with.Medicated food for those that eat are a start.For those that don't must be moved to a hospital tank and medicate.Since I donot know what you know,so I will stop at this.Can you conf or tell me any different?

rus
12/26/1999, 09:50 PM
thanks smpolyp

i understand that actual tests are important these are the only tests i have done , so far except one calcium test [ readings were 450 although the test to me does not seem all that accurate [ add drop till color changes ] my other fish seem to be fine no noticable problems or lacvk of eating or energy.
they have been in new tank for a few weeks now but this is the first problem i have had. i'm not sure if there is something else to look for at all . if you have any ideas on it please let me know , i'm not sure if i need to give you any other info either .

Doug1
12/27/1999, 02:10 AM
Your specific gravity is low for a reef, check your hydrometer then slowly bring it to NSW levels around 1.025 or 35 ppt

------------------
I reefed,so I spent,it would have been cheaper to do it right the first time.........Doug@thereeftank
moderator in exile

smpolyp
12/28/1999, 09:10 PM
From what it sounds what ever was the cause is prob. gone by now.I would just monitor the tank and keep a good eye on all inhabitants.I hope this will be the only prob you ever have.If not we are here.

rus
12/28/1999, 11:26 PM
thanks all

i appreciate the information everthing is good so far

Larry M
12/28/1999, 11:28 PM
Welcome Rus--Hope you got what you needed.

------------------
Larry M

My Personal Site, Northern Reef (http://www.homestead.com/larry_reef/index.html)