PDA

View Full Version : overfeeding mistake - phosphated through the roof

Christine
12/25/1999, 08:54 PM
My little brother feeds my fish normally on weekdays. Anyway, since I was home all week, I was feeding them too. Now my phosphates are over the top of my test kit. What are the negative side effects of using activated carbon in the sump short term? Also, due to an anemone death, my nitrates are a little high (around 5 ppm). This is why I asked about activated carbon rather than one of those "phosphate sponges." Oh, and the LFS is closed until 5:30 monday, so I can't do a water change until then, since I don't have an RO unit yet. I'm pretty sure PetsMart has activated carbon though.

DougL
12/26/1999, 08:35 AM
Christine;

IMHO, there are no side effects in running carbon short term, except higher water quality. However, it will not remove either
nitrates or phosphates in any significant quantity. It is best at removing dissolved organic compounds.

After problems of this type, the longer you can wait before a new introduction the better. I would say a minimum of a month
just to let your system stabilize and get back "on track".

Good Luck;

DougL

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy

Christine
12/26/1999, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. A friend gave me some phosguard, so I have that in the sump now. I guess 5ppm isn't a huge deal, so I'll just watch the tank. It was up to five once before when I couldn't find one of my fish (never did).

Scooby Doo
12/26/1999, 11:33 PM
Christine,

5 ppm nitrates is hardly a problem. I wish mine would stay that low.

Dave

jdthomas
12/28/1999, 08:53 AM
Just a note on the Phosgard, if you have any leathers in the tank, the Phosgard could hurt them. A Polyfilter will take the phosphate down very quickly and wont hurt anything.

uwexplorer
12/29/1999, 12:43 AM
I also have a phosphate problem. I used phosguard and my tangs broke out with ick. The metal compound causes a problem with the protective slime of the fish. I tried the red phosphate sponge with even worse results. I also tried the aquamarine enzmine product but no difference. Large water changes have been working well for me. I have heard of a white poly filter working but haven't been able to find or try that. I also would like to know if there is anything better.
SeYa
Michael