PDA

View Full Version : Engineer Gobys?

reefmarker
07/06/2005, 09:00 AM
Anyone ever had any of these? I found 3 of them real cheap at an LFS that is going out of business.

They look sort of neat, but online one site says they are reef safe no problem in groups; and other sites say bad in reefs because they dig and pick at everything and only one per tank. Which is it? Anyone ever have a couple of them. I didn't like them at first, but they are pretty neat the way they dig and share the same hole and seem to all come out at once and hide at once. There are 3 or 4 of them that I would get to go into a 90.

The tanks is a softy only tanks with about 80 lbs of live rock. The other sand dwellers are a sand sifting star, red leg hermits, and a florida cucumber. The only fish are a yellow tang and a sailfin tang. The sand is 100% southdown.

H2OLUVSME
07/06/2005, 10:33 AM
i had one for a while. he was small and in my 20 gallo reef. he was moved to my 75 when i upgraded but disappeared after a few weeks. he was very cool, but definatly needed a lot of space. he took up half of the real estate in my 75. i dont know if they play nice together, but i knew a guy that had 2 in his 55. they were like 10 inches long, so i wouldnt reccomend that.

BTW, i emptied my PM box ;)

chad508
07/06/2005, 03:56 PM
i have heard of peoples rock falling over due to the gobys digging

rayhwong
07/06/2005, 05:15 PM
I had one and had to remove him because he kept digging around my rocks and shifted the aquasacpe.
Good looking fish though.

Bearbait
07/06/2005, 05:17 PM
I have 5 about 7 inchs long they have been great but they do dig alot

H2OLUVSME
07/07/2005, 06:10 AM
as long as you have your rock very stable it shouldnt be a problem. i put my rock in before the sand to be sure. they will rearrange the look of the sad bed quite often though. its a good idea not to keep any corals on the SB with these guys, cause they will burry it at one tie or another.

skuykend
07/08/2005, 01:35 PM
I have one about 9-10" in my 90Gal, real neat, but likes to dig tunnels from one side to the other under the rocks. My rock settled a tad at first but are not stable. I've heard that they like to be in groups better, but have never have gotten another to try and should probably put them all in at once anyway.

Steve

skuykend
07/08/2005, 01:36 PM
Whoops, I meant are "now" stable.

Steve

fish_taste_good
07/08/2005, 02:02 PM
i have one pushing a foot and he digs nonstop in my 55.

I cant wait to plumb my 90 and im sure he can't either. They will dig, so expect it.

I like to think he stirs my sand up alot, which is a good thing.

dvmsn
07/08/2005, 09:29 PM
There was a very interesting article about them last month in National Geographic