PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Angels..Help me decide

Y2J
02/08/2002, 12:19 AM
Hello everyone, I have a 60gal FOWLR with 3 damsels, and a 1 yellow watchman goby. I'm ready to add another fish to the tank, and i'm having trouble deciding. I've narrowed my choices down to a Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, and a Potters Angel. I'm leaning towards a Flame Angel or a Potters Angel, but out of the 3, which one is a hardier and easier fish to keep. Or are they all just as easy to keep? Also, are dwarf angels susceptible to ich like tangs?

cal3v
02/08/2002, 01:04 AM
Easiest would probably be the coral beauty or flame. The potters have a bad rep of dying for no reason. If you want one make sure it's a the lfs for like 2 weeks just to be safe. Even then they are kinda iffy. Dwarfs are nto extremely susceptible, but are not extremely hardy either. Make sure it comes from other than the philippines or indonesia as most bad dwarf angels and otehr fish come from there. Christmas islands is good for flames.

hcs3
02/08/2002, 01:35 AM
i'd probably stick with the coral beauty between the 3. at least it is the hardiest of them. flames are getting a bed reputation lately. potters have always had one.

HTH

henry

jasonc
02/08/2002, 06:45 AM
Flip a coin between the Coral Beauty and the Flame. All rules still apply - make sure you see it eat at the LFS and they have had it at least two weeks.

Most all Centropyges are non-stop grazers. Make sure you have a good crop of algae on your live rock, and you'll have a happy pygmy angel. I would caution you about those damsels... could hassle the centropyge - keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

billsreef
02/08/2002, 12:18 PM
The majority of flame angels imported over the last several years have shown a very high mortality rate over a rather short 6 week period. Potters have never been known for survival. The Coral beauty is likely to do good for years if you get a good speciman.

Y2J
02/08/2002, 01:39 PM
thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with a flame. There's a flame at my lfs that's been there for 3weeks or more, and seems to be a healthy specimen. One other question, is it easier to quarantine a fish in copper or hyposalinity? Which is less stressful on the fish?

hcs3
02/08/2002, 03:13 PM
what is wrong with the fish that you want to Q in either copper or hypo? if your just Qing, then no need for either. only treat when known pathogens are effecting your fish.

HTH

henry

Y2J
02/08/2002, 04:06 PM
isn't it good practice to quarantine ALL fish before adding them to the main tank?

hcs3
02/08/2002, 04:12 PM
isn't it good practice to quarantine ALL fish before adding them to the main tank?

don't confuse Q-ing new arrivals with treating for a medical condition. 2 very different concepts.

HTH

Y2J
02/08/2002, 09:44 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of quarantining a fish is so that no parasites/diseases are introduced the the main tank? Just because a fish doesn't show any "visible" signs of disease or parasitic infection doesn't have any whatsoever, right?
So i thought the whole idea of quarantining was to treat the fish regardless as a precaution

hcs3
02/08/2002, 11:55 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of quarantining a fish is so that no parasites/diseases are introduced the the main tank?

no need to correct you, this is correct.

So i thought the whole idea of quarantining was to treat the fish regardless as a precaution

absolutely, positively not. treat only diagnosed ailments.