PDA

View Full Version : I am so exited... I am also just curious

predatorpassion
07/05/2005, 05:39 PM
I am getting a pterois mombasae pretty soon and was wondering if anyone has had one... or what they had it with...

they are my favorite fish fresh or salt... but I like them because they are like the only rare deepwater lion that doesn't look like a stonefish... has eyes unproportional to its head and lives 130 ft and deeper in the ocean... just out of recreational diving limits:( bummer!!!:p I will try to post pics of it when I get it (if I can)

just curious if anyone has kept one or heard of one and if they had one what kind of tank they have had them in... and tankmates...

predatorpassion
07/05/2005, 06:17 PM
they are also called deepwater lionfish and miles lionfish

TheMcs
07/05/2005, 06:58 PM
Cool! Where are you getting it from? The only lion I've got/have had is our fuzzy dwarf. Hurry up and find a pic to post.

predatorpassion
07/05/2005, 08:10 PM
from Shane and Ben from ultimate Reefs... So far I haven't seen anyone that has one or had one...

predatorpassion
07/05/2005, 08:14 PM
just scroll down these pages untill you see "pterois mombasae"

www.wetwebmedia.com/lions&rels.htm

www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.htm

TheMcs
07/05/2005, 09:23 PM
Looks good, glad you were able to find one. Which tank is it going in?

predatorpassion
07/05/2005, 11:44 PM
Temporarily he will be in a 36 gallon... he is about 4" long... Until my fuzzy is big enough that I won't think he could get eaten... then he will go to the 75 gallon... In a couple of weeks or months me, my mom and brother are talking about getting a tank between 92-200 gallons and he will go in there... or we will make our 220 saltwater...

I might have a tank to himself (92 gallon or bigger) and a colony of lionfish... but have it as a deep water cryptic reef with low light... The biggest thing is (I forgot where I read it) but is to have low light because they have been known to become blind in bright light

sorry I got a little carried away :p

quaz
07/06/2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah, the miles lion will prefer low light and will seek out shelter either way.

I wouldn't worry about him eating your dwarf fuzzy at all though. One thing is that lions with their rythmic motion for their natural ambush techniques also disguise them from predation.
Knowing your miles lion in particular, he's not an over ambitious eater like some lions. He doesn't like to take food that is tough to swallow. Your dwarf fuzzy, i can imagine would be tough to swallow. ouch...

quaz
07/06/2005, 08:27 AM
Oh... by the way, I went snorkling at beaver lake this past week end. It was awesome. A few divers near by were spear fishing and nabbed 2 3lb flat head cat fish. Holding my breath I could only go about 15 feet comfortably and be able to spend some time on the bottom.
But man, it is so clear. I tried but I just couldn't net a blue gill.

predatorpassion
07/06/2005, 10:08 AM
right... uhh.. I will keep that in mind... there is also one reason why he isn't going in the 75 gallon... It has real bright lights... Oh and I went buy ultimate reefs a couple of days ago and put 2 mollies in with the lion... He was real curious and started to ambush them... My fuzzy is just greedy and runs up and eats mysis :p Yesterday I took some water there and had it tested...
Shane said he also ate some krill and the mollies... By the way the mollies were to entice him to eat...

rincon
07/06/2005, 11:14 AM
Wow! You sure know your stuff for being only 13. Cheers buddy!

predatorpassion
07/06/2005, 06:09 PM
wow, thanks for the compliment!:D I like to read and research about this stuff... and their is still a lot to learn!:p

predatorpassion
07/07/2005, 09:30 PM
I just picked him up at 8:00.. He looks GREAT!!! he is now eating krill and is very aware of what is outside of the water... and sits there and watches you with his big ol' eyes... :eek: :eek2: :p

Travis L. Stevens
07/08/2005, 08:20 AM
Are you going to keep your deepwater in a lower temperature tank? I'll admit, I didn't read the post, so I apologize if it's been asked

predatorpassion
07/08/2005, 09:59 AM
yeah... I will try to keep it a little lower but not to much... Because he was probably used to the stores temp. which would be normal... But he was not eating to eating live and now eating krill.. he ate like 5 peices of krill... but he actively ambushed and ate... it was so cool!!! :p

quaz
07/08/2005, 10:42 PM
That dude was cool. We had to get another one. If he aclimates well I'd like to add him to our preditor display.

predatorpassion
07/08/2005, 11:45 PM
yeah... I saw him... he looks good... I have to admit though... I like the coloration on mine a little more because he has a lot of white on him... he has eaten again and has a real personality....

ps: if you guys decide not to keep him for your pred tank I might take him :p