For any Tropic Marin users.. they have a new salt called Reef Pro

Just FYI A couple of guys I spoke with that work at Itchy's really like it

Itchy is selling it

mitchiemitch1
07/24/2005, 10:35 PM
yous drive all the way to oldsmar.... wow. seems liek a wates of gas

myakkareef
07/25/2005, 06:52 AM
There are a couple of stores in Tampa and Oldsmar that blow anything locally away...Well worth the trip sometime..Plus its not like a daily occurance, kinda like a vacation to go look at a really nice store, with qaulity livegoods and kowledgeable people...Plus it really is only about 50 miles..I drive this daily to work..

ichthyman
07/25/2005, 08:27 AM
mitchiemitch1,

I suppose you would prefer for people to make purchases from you or your buds. :rolleyes:

myakkareef
07/25/2005, 09:48 AM
Why do I get a feeling there is something up with mitchiemitch1....Rich do you have a store?? Have you ever been to Ichty Stuff and talked to John, very nice knowledgable individual??

AquAsylum
07/25/2005, 02:56 PM
Rich is contemplating starting to sell fish. See this thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=629644

(you might notice that he visited the ACROS forum after my post)

myakkareef
07/25/2005, 03:00 PM
Ok, that thread explained alot...About all I will say...

floridareefs
07/25/2005, 03:11 PM
Id buy oceanic---thats just me though:)

mitchiemitch1
07/25/2005, 04:21 PM
ive been to ichy i actually boght seapods there... no one said hello to me when i came in. and i can't say i found anything there that i could not find here...i used to live about 5 miles from there but now i just dont see the point of the drive... BTW there is no contemplating... its happening.. next week will be the first shipment.

ichthyman
07/25/2005, 05:03 PM
mitchiemitch1,

Come on be original. Say something like my feet stink or that my mother wears combat boots. How about these;

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them.

Did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?

Doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words.

He does the work of three men: Moe, Larry, and Curly.

He is dark and handsome. When it's dark, he's handsome.

There are several people in this world that I find obnoxious and you are all of them.

His personality's split so many ways he goes alone for group therapy.

Fat? You're not fat, you're just ... fat.

You're as useless as rubber lips on a woodpecker.

mitchiemitch1
07/25/2005, 07:43 PM
ok John, I wasn't bashing the store. Just stating my exp. while I was there. If people want to drive thats great i was just wondering why. After all i did make the drive to get some seapods becasue you were the closest outlet for them. I wish you continued success in your business. Your store is a fine one.

mitchiemitch1
07/25/2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ichthyman
mitchiemitch1,

I suppose you would prefer for people to make purchases from you or your buds. :rolleyes:

It really matters not to me who they buy from... but that they are happy with the purchase they have made.

floridareefs
07/25/2005, 09:39 PM
mitchie---NO SOUP FOR YOU! MITCHIE AND INCHY ARE AT ODDS IT SEEMS-man this is shaping up to good price war--wish I lived near orlandy

mitchiemitch1
07/25/2005, 10:02 PM
all i can say is when you go to a store and there are no prices on the tanks that weird.

multi striped 12
07/25/2005, 10:07 PM
jagsy, I don't see a price war, this isn't gasoline....

I'm glad you like the oceanic salt

Yes mitchiemitch1 I will drive to Oldsmar any time

John thank you again everyone was very patient as we asked about many
wrasses and we are liking our new sixline even though he found the overflow to his liking yesterday...

ichthyman
07/26/2005, 01:17 AM
multi striped 12,

Glad you like the fish and hope to see you again soon. Thank you.

jagsy,

Sorry, not a price-war. Just having a little fun. BTW, the name Fish Nazi is a term of endearment bestowed upon me by my customers. I consider it a badge of honor.

mitchiemitch1,

“all i can say is when you go to a store and there are no prices on the tanks that weird.�

Why? You’re a professional now aren’t you? Since you’re now engaged in the retailing of marine animals, you should have no problem identifying the various species within my shop. It should be easy for a pro, I have several lists conspicuously posted within my shop that not only contain common names and the correct scientific nomenclature but also the geographic point of origin. Should I not provide this information? Is it not important for a customer to know such things? Please enlighten, as I have much to learn. If I may be so bold to present my philosophy to you for your esteemed review. First, by themselves common names lead to confusion. One person’s Hoven’s wrasse is someone else’s Melanarus or Pinstripe wrasse. I believe by the use of both scientific and common names is required. Second, over my twenty plus years within this industry I have found that not all fish are collected or handled equally. The bulk of the fish within the trade come from countries with less than ideal ethics or practices. These areas are dominated by ruthless individuals that care little or nothing about the life that they sell. Destructive collection and inhumane shipping is the norm. They are allowed to exist because of the morally corrupt demand for cheap livestock. There are better choices available and I make that option know to all who care to read my lists. Third, my store is small and with the several hundred possible combinations of size and species I feel it would be an severe eye-snore to have labels on all of my tanks. Please remember, that these labels will not just have name and price but also the scientific name and collection local. That would be a very long label. Plus, I have yet to find a cost effective waterproof labeling system that meets my standards. Forth, it deters impulse purchases. Yes, you read that right a store that doesn’t encourage the quick sale. If a customer doesn’t know what an item is then they wont be able to get a price without engaging a staff member. (Psssst, by the way, if the customer didn’t know what they were looking at they also didn’t know how to care for it.) With one of the staff’s involvement better choices can then be made about the appropriateness of the particular animal.

Come on, you can do better than the list remark. You’re a professional with years of experience, right? Surely, the “waste of gas� comment was derived from some sage-like wisdom.

myakkareef
07/26/2005, 06:57 AM
I love it when a you can tell a honest professional business person has given there the background to there business..
John, keep up the good work, and hopefully you will be successful for along time.

mitchiemitch1
07/26/2005, 06:58 AM
maybe you dont understand the "waste of gas" comment... it seems wasteful to drive 50+ miles to get salt that you can get down the street. i really dont care who goes to your store or how you run it or anything... this is my last post on this thread just due to me not caring about Itchythings that much or how they run things or anything about them in general.

ichthyman
07/26/2005, 08:01 AM
Oh, poo I was just getting started.:(

myakkareef
07/26/2005, 08:39 AM
I actually get my salt delivered to my front door by Fedex cheaper then I can buy it anywhere no matter how far I drive. But I like buying my livestock from a store where I can look at the actual fish/coral and determine its health prior to it getting to my front door.
Rich don't get upset, this is what forums and message boards are about. The original post was not to drive to Oldsmar for Salt, the original poster said "For any Tropic Marin users.. they have a new salt called Reef Pro
Just FYI A couple of guys I spoke with that work at Itchy's really like it Itchy is selling it"
This did not say everyone drive to Oldsmar to buy the salt..I think you took the original post out of context...

billsreef
07/26/2005, 09:33 AM
OK folks, lets remember that we need to keep any personal insults and barbs out of these discussions. Also Mitch, it's bad form to talk about ones business competitor's.

myakkareef
07/26/2005, 10:08 AM
Now we have done it, the Mods have stepped in...Thanks Bill good to see you all keeping a handle on things...

sandman12
07/26/2005, 10:44 AM
I don't even see why you need to reply john, everyone that knows you knows that you and your store are worth every minute of driving. No need to waste your time posting.

James

sandman12
07/26/2005, 02:55 PM
Back on the topic of salt....was surfing the net and found this

http://www.aquacraft.net/w0025.html

ichthyman
07/26/2005, 03:49 PM
Howdy James,

You may want to do a search of the S-15 report before giving that link to much credence.

sandman12
07/26/2005, 03:52 PM
yeah, I'm not saying much about it. Just showing what I came by.

billsreef
07/26/2005, 04:51 PM
:lol:

That S-15 report always gives me a good chuckle ;) Nothing like an "independent" report carried out with the only source of funding being the company whose product comes out on top :)

multi striped 12
07/26/2005, 10:18 PM
James
If you find a test for the TM reef Pro let us know
I am thinking about it..

John
Every one liked the look of your sump.. I am very happy with the dart also you were spot on with how quiet it is.I wiil be back soon for more bags
I will call and ask you about the bags, How lkong should I use them before
putting new ones into use

gobyone
07/27/2005, 07:33 PM
I change my bags about three times a week. John likes to change them daily plus clean skimmer too. What a slave driver !! Yes MASTER

multi striped 12
07/27/2005, 09:07 PM
Yes I'm every 2 days..I was thinking about how long the bags last..
I was told when the seam starts to go get rid of it...

I thought about daily, you just have to have enough bags

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/27/2005, 09:19 PM
well i've been using pro for only about 6-7 weeks, i used oceanic and I.O. before....not that they were bad(well had bud luck with I.O.) but tm pro reef has so far given me these:
ph 8.1
alk. 7 (dkh)
calcium 400
mag. 1250
i use b-ionic to get levels where i want them and add seachem mag.
i do have to add about a cup and another third of one for every two gallons RO

ichthyman
07/28/2005, 01:32 PM
Sorry guys for the tardy response. Yesterday I took the day off and went to the zoo with my boy.

Yes, I change the bags in the store everyday. Taskmaster, me never.:D Work, my mules, work! A store-use bag will last for about 1-2 years before coming apart.

Billsreef,

For a really big chuckle, crunch the S-15's numbers sometime. I couldn't find a scoring methodology pattern at all.

multi striped 12
07/28/2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks E A G L E S
for reporting salt camp
Sounds good

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/28/2005, 08:04 PM
Go Birds!!

billsreef
07/28/2005, 11:24 PM
John,

I know what you mean about the numbers on that S-15 report :lol:

cgries
08/13/2005, 10:04 PM
I have been using Tropic Marine Pro Reef for the last month or so. I have always liked Tropic Marine. I tried the Oceanic thing and had a algae outbreak. So I went back to Tropic Marine. Then the pro came out and I decided to give it a try. So far I like it.