PDA

View Full Version : 4 circuit breakers tripped - I'm sick

bgdiving
07/03/2005, 08:32 PM
While we were on the East Coast helping my daughtrer and son in law move, 4 of my circuit breakers tripped. Most of my tanks are on at least 2 circuit breakers as a backup precaution. Lost 2 blue regal tangs, a sailfin tang, a mandrin goby and can't find a couple of 6 line wrasses. Not sure yet on the coral losses. I've thouwn out 6 stoney corals cut back a few more and not sure on a whole bunch more and the smell of xenia going bad hits you when you open the door. So far have changed out 100 gallons of water and mixed up another 50 gallons for another change. The only thing I was really worried about before leaving were the baby clowns, and they are fine. They handled the extra large feeding of baby Brine without a problem. Over all it wasn't a happpy day. :eek1:

skippy2
07/03/2005, 08:58 PM
So sorry to hear about that.

multi striped 12
07/03/2005, 10:27 PM
Brian, Sorry to hear read about that..that stinks! !

Good luck saving what you can... Is it to early to figure out what caused it?

New lights? Bad motor?

On another post (no free plug) I posted for an electrician that put in a new dedicated circut for me ..I know you plan for problems but you may want to
at least have the breakers checked ..they can get weak and start tripping
good luck again I really liked that sailfin tang

bgdiving
07/03/2005, 10:59 PM
These were all dedicated breakers, two were GFI breakers at the electrical box and and 2 were first in line GFI outlet boxes. I've planned for a breaker tripping and most of my tankes are served by 2 different brealkers. Guessing a storm knocked them out but really have no idea. They all came back on when I flipped the breakers or pushed the reset buttons and have been functioning fine today. When I upgraded my garage electrical box to 200 amp service I had the new circuits all put in with GFI right at the circuit breaker and they do tend to be a little more sensitive. All the new GFI circuits are 20 amp instead of the standard 15 amp so they so they were planned for heavier loads so they shouldn't trip as easily as a 15 amp. I think I'll haave an electrican come out and install a couple more breakers and check my existing breakers.

rjg
07/04/2005, 02:01 PM
Brian,

Do you need help with anything or supplies?

myakkareef
07/04/2005, 02:15 PM
Brian, just wondering if you were running any pumps on those GFI's...I know my pumps will run on a GFI then tripp them for no reason.....If you need anything let me know...
Hope you get everything back up and running...
Did that Carnation appear to be doing ok??

Rothie
07/05/2005, 08:12 PM
I added 4 20amp circuits for 2 of my tanks.I put 2 recepticals on each circuit and GFI's on each receptical.If the GFI trips,it only trips what is plugged into that receptical.I don't like GFI breakers,they just make trouble shooting more difficult.

bgdiving
07/05/2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the offers, just needed an empathetic virtual shoulder to cry on.

Real pretty sceane today, I have a nice very bright bone white coral forest. Pulled out and tossed another half dozen acros today, most likely loosing most of the "uncertains " most likely loosing 2/3 or more of the corals in a 55 gal tank which includes a few large heads of a tricolor acro, A 20 gallon start tank and a 15 gal start tank are still in trouble. the Xenia in them don't look too good but the blue zoa's and the green stars look like they might make it. In my 400 gallon multi-tank system I only lost an area about the size of a coffee cup sauser. One coral that had been previously stung by another falling on it went bad and when the circulation went off slimed/jellied everycoral around it, other than that I think that system is now secrured now that I've removed and isolated the damaged corals that were on the edge of the destruction zone.

Scotty the carnation is doing fine (but has neveer looked very red) the tank it was in only lost one circuit breaker but had some power heads coming off an unaffected circuit.

myakkareef
07/06/2005, 06:53 AM
Brian did you ever figure out the cause of the breaker trip? Did the GFI trip or the actual breaker?

bgdiving
07/06/2005, 06:59 PM
Scotty, my best guess is that we had a power outage/surge and when the power tried to stumble back on it caused some of my breakers to trip when everything tried to start at once. You know how the power sometimes starts to come back on flickers out then comes back on, that's my best guess as to what happened. A fan (on a circuit that didn't trip) with a didgital therastat display had dumped it's program and was displaying just "-- -- ", which would indicate that the power had been out at least briefly. Other timers in the garage were roughly at the correct time so I know it wasn't a prolonged power outage.

Two actual breakers tripped in the electical box, they are actually GFI's at the breaker. When I upped my garage electical pannel from 100 amp to 200amp service I had the electrician install 20 amp GFI circuit breakers for the new circuits. Previously I had had GFI out lets installed as the first outlet in line on the existing circuits. 2 of these GFI outlets had also tripped in effect each of the GFIs taking out a whole circuit but not actually tripping those beakers. Resulting in a grand total of 4 circuits knocked out possibly for a day and a half. :mad:

Agu
07/07/2005, 06:17 PM
Brian,

When you're out of town call me ! It's close and convenient for me to stop by and check on things. I really don't mind..........

Besides, you know I'm up to the challenge with epoxy and duct tape in hand ;) .

Good Luck,

CoralConnection
07/08/2005, 12:52 PM
Brain,

Just found out, man that really sucks! Is there anything that we have that you will need? Let me know.

James
Coral Connection