PDA

View Full Version : Suction Overflow????

fish04
02/07/2002, 02:23 PM
Okay, now that I have your attention, here's my idea.
I have just started a 2 ½ gallon reef to go along with my 10. Now here's the issue. It's small! Okay you knew that already. What I want to do is build a sump for the tank to get the power head and heater out of the main tank. The live rock is my main “filtration� and I plan to get some bioballs for the sump.

My plan:
I plan to use ¼� or ½� PVC pipe to “suction� the water from the main tank into another 2 ½ gallon tank below my desk. The lower tank would only have 1 ½ gallons of water. The PVC suction would sit about 2� below the surface so even if electric went out it wouldn’t siphon the whole tank, just the first 2� which would easily be saved in the sump.
The return would be a ¼� PVC attached top the power head in the sump. I would use a spraybar built from the ¼� PVC to return water to the tank.

Basically it’s an over flow, minus the overflow!

Picture this:
3 PVC elbows to go over the corner of the tank for both intake and return, and straight PVC or flexible tubing from the PVC elbows into the sump. And vice versa! Of course suction cups to keep it all in place.

My question:
Do you all think this will work? (I can’t drill the tempered glass)

Any problems you foresee?

Thanks for the help!

wickerj
02/07/2002, 02:54 PM
I'm sure it will work but what may happen by having your pipe only a couple of inches under the water is a vortex could be created causing a horrible sucking noise. You'll probably have to put a valve on the pipe coming from your tank to the sump to control the flow. Make sure you place a screen on the pipe as well or you'll end up with something getting stuck in the tube and the return pump will flood your main tank. For a screen use a pvc cap and drill a bunch of holes in it.

ReeferMac
02/07/2002, 03:14 PM
technically it's feasible... I'm doing the same thing with my skimmer. It's powered by siphon. I like the Valve idea as well, though I'd put one on the return pump, and control the flow rate there, rather than on the siphon down. That way you're not trying to match your drain to your return. You should regulate the return, and that in turn, should control your flow rate down the overflow.

What I would be worried about is the overflow losing sipon... Could get messy, depending on what else you all have on your desk. Remember, just because the overflow stopped sucking, doesn't mean the pump's going to stop pumping.

You will definitely want to screen the overflow somehow too... I'd hate to have a fish get sucked up into there and end up in your sump. Worse yet, be prepared to prevent snails from getting in there too. Get a big one stuck in there, and you're going to cut off the flow enough to overflow the tank.

I'd go with a bigger sump too... will help you in the nano if you've got water to dilute with. So long as you have the space, get the biggest sump you can.

- Mac

Chucker
02/07/2002, 04:31 PM
I don't know the dimensions of a 2.5g, but here's an option that has worked for others with reefs 10g and under. Use a hang-on powerfilter. The amount of current it generates is usually sufficient for circulation, many of them have space for a 50w heater if the filter media is removed, and there are zero issues with siphons.

fish04
02/07/2002, 07:19 PM
I got a great answer from another forum. A gentleman sent me his design for a self priming "overflow" box made out of PVC tubing. Anyone interested the website is http://www.eparc.com/diy/overflows/williard/overflow.shtml
The directions are easy and will cost about $10 to make. It looks like a great setup I'm going to try it this weekend.
Thanks for the help!

cperson
02/07/2002, 08:44 PM
Fish04,
That design looks pretty good. There could be a problem with the right angle bends in the overflow tube. Better off using a flexible hose or, if you can find it, a small U-tube. The 90's will create a turbulence, reducing the thru-put and could cause the siphon to break.

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/08/2002, 01:51 AM
i have a couple of hang on filters here (got them with a buncha loot free) anyways the u-tubes are black but there half inch... little cutting and yer in if your interested i could let a whole hang on filter go for i dunno whatever.. we can figure it out maybee a frag trade or sumthin... anyways you could try both ways use the small hang on or use the u tube..... lemme know

Demose's Reef (http://morelweb.com/demose)

:beer:

Demose@softhome.net :wavehand: