PDA

View Full Version : Porites / Xmastree worm struggling...8(

Steve Richardson
12/10/1999, 10:56 AM
O.K. folks. I have an exeptional piece of christmas tree rock. About 5 Lbs worth, with 30 worms in it, and its going to kick. Hope someone can sugest something, I'm sort of at a loss here. I'll thank you in advance for suffering through this post if you make it, I'll try to give as much relevant info as I can.
This tank has been stable for about 8 months, running for a year.

75G
Lighting: 370W
2 VHO (URI Actinic & 50/50) (12 hrs)
2 55W PC (6700K) (10 Hrs)
1 NO Actinic (14Hrs)

Water parameters (mean)
temp....: 81-82F
salinity: 1.024
pH......: 8.1-8.3
alk.....: 8-9dKH
Ca......: usually 425, just tested 385.
NH3.....: 0ppm
NO2.....: 0ppm
N03.....: ~2ppm
P04.....: ~0ppm
Mg......: ?

Circulation:
through sump: ~350GPH via Sen700
Through ETS RD2: ~300GPH via 2nd Sen700
in tank PHs:
4 additional assorted powerheads as Penquin 1200 Or similar maxijet

Filtration:
100Lbs Live Rock
ETS ReefDevil2
passive chemi-pure in sump, otherwise, no carbon. (changing this soon)

Additives:
Kalk - 2-4L, 3-5 times a week
combisan - weekly
reefbuilder - perhaps weekly

Water Changes:
5G every week. (TWP)

Substrate:
2" medium aragonite gravel. Have noted good amount of ministars, bristleworms, amphipods, and other life. Not bad, though its not a deep sand bed.

Fish:
A.frenatus (Tomato Clown)
Z.Xanthurus (Purple tang)
mated pair: Amblyeleotris guttata (pretty prawn gobies)

Crustaceans:
Sally Lightfoot (1)
Scarlet Cleaner (1)
Coral Banded (1)
Blue leg hermit (10) (often seen walking on it - picking)
Scarlet Reef hermit (4)
bumblebee hermit (2)
porcelin crab (1)
B&W hermit (2)
Astrea snails (8)
Turbo (2)
nassarius (~10)
cerith (6)
nerite (4)

Corals:
Xenia (silver tip)
Anthelia (wood polyp)
Caulaustria (trumpet)
Clavularia (Clove polyp)
Zooanthids (8 varieties/colors)
Cataphillia (Elegance)
Galaxia (Galaxy)
Cladiella (Colt)
Clavularia (Star Polyps)
discosoma (metalic Green shroom)
rhodactis (brown/green shrooms)

Sponges:
several small encrusting varieties. 1 known calcareous, others demosponge I think.

Note: currently C.retrogemma (flatworm) infestation. Have not noticed them on any of the corals. Primarily on rock & substrate

Anyway........

This chunk of porites/spirobranchus worms has been in tank for about 6 months. I have never really seen the polyps extended well. This was brough home to me when I saw a small piece in a friends tank - and all the polyps were out, so it looked like suede. Mine are closed up pretty much. It is sitting about 12-14" down from top in the middle of the tank. Circulation is perhaps light.

It is begining to show some bleaching around the edges. I'm thinking that if I do not address it, it will only get worse. Hope its not too late already.

Anyone ever resurect one?

thanks folks,

Steve

ignatz
12/10/1999, 01:42 PM
Steve,

My research into this combination resulted in the following informaiton. Take it for what it's worth.

The relationship between the sepulid worms and the porites in symbiotic. The coral should be placed high in the tank with heavy water motion. This placement will benefit the sepulid worms in that they are part time filter feeders. The constant current will bring nutrient rich water to the worms, who filter it, so that the coral can thrive giving off mucus for the worms to feed on. (Its circular... Feel the flow Happy, sorry drifting a bit :) ) I would suggest that you raise the coral to the highest point in the tank that you can, and give it better current. If you lose the coral, you will have to feed the worms. They will readily accept DT's Phytoplankton. This addition will help them regardless of the state of the coral, though.

HTH
~ignatz

Steve Richardson
12/10/1999, 01:47 PM
ignatz - thanks.

The worms are, at present, fine. I have been feeding cryopastes, though I cannot comment as to if it is actually helpful.

yes - I believe that higher up may be part of the problem (more light), but I have received conflicting info on these, especially sp. containing spiros.

will probably try this.... 'tis frustrating.

regards,

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Richardson (edited 12-10-1999).]