PDA

View Full Version : Orchid dottyback frimani pairing

tendar
02/06/2002, 11:37 PM
I have a captive raised orchid dottyback for 6 mounths now and it has been given its own tank in my new 37 gallon sps clam tank. I was thinking for getting another one for it and possibly try breeding them. I know there is book out on it but havnt got it in that I havent decided if mine has gotten to big to add another one. I do believe that they work like clowns and sex out after a pair has been put together and one becomes male and the other becomes a female. Mine has grown to 2" long. Before I spend $50 for a second only to have the one I allready have kill it. Is it possible for it to accept a new one and if so should I get one of the same size or a smaller or larger one to try and make a mated pair. They will be the only fish in the tank.

scott324
02/07/2002, 12:18 AM
tendar,

Hello, I have a pair of neons breeding now, very exciting. Anyway, the male is the bigger one in the dottybacks. I don't remember, but I think I was reading a site where they said one of the species of dottyback were not hermaphroditic(sp?). I think it was either the orchid or splendid. Frank may help more on that. If you buy a smaller one you should get away with it. I also read somewhere where someone used a large net to sperate the two fish until the smaller one took on female characteristics. I beleive that was in the breeders registry, but am not sure. This method will probably work. Mine even as a pair still nip at each other, but nothing to rough.

LiquidShaneo
02/07/2002, 09:46 AM
I would recommend getting Martin Moe's Breeding the Orchid Dottyback book before you get into it too hard. The book is like $15 from Premium Aquatics and is definitely worth reading thru before you get into breeding them. Also, if I remember right, the male is definitely the bigger fish and this particular fish is not hermaphroditic so you'll have to figure out a way to find a female. I seem to remember reading that the male has a longer basal caudal fin. I'd have to read over the book again to make sure tho...

Shane