PDA

View Full Version : Coral Wars!

ReeferMac
02/06/2002, 08:44 PM
"In the Left Corner, we have Todd's Purple M. Cap weighing in at about 6 months old! IN THE RIGHT CORN-ER, we have Todd's Purple and Green Acro, also coming to us 6 months ago."

The Territory has been claimed, round one was noticed today when I got home from work... these gooey white filaments stretching from the Cap to the Acro... white spots all over where the "Stuff" was... What I wouldn't give for a Digicam right now. To make matter's worse, the two frags are on the same rock (and it's not a very big rock, either).
I knew this day would come (well, you plant that many frags that close together... Reap what you sew, butt-head), and told myself I wouldn't worry about it... just let them grow naturally. The Branching Acro's I've been fragging when they get close, but the Cap's plating at this edge, and it's right at the base of the Acro. I'd have to break the whole piece off the rock. I have other pieces of this particular coral in other places in the tank (and I'm sure I can always weasel another frag from Todd ;-), but I'm wondering if I should go through a lot of effort to do anything here, or just let nature take it's course? It seems to me as though the Cap's being the aggressor, which is the coral I care most about of the two. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow or the next day, and am tossing a bag of carbon in there tonight.

If anyone knows of someone wanting to sell their digicam lemme know (people you trust to take good care of digicam.. not interested in eBay). The Tax man's got something coming for us, and I could prolly talk the wifey into a used 3 MP if the price was right.

- Mac

Chucker
02/06/2002, 09:29 PM
Just tried to ICQ you.... I'll try to remember to bring the camera and card reader to work with me tomorrow.

BTW, I'll try to resist the temptation to say "I told you so!" :p

Playfair
02/06/2002, 09:37 PM
Hey man, now you know what I have to go through 10x per day! lol Screw the "nature" thing, we pay too much for corals to watch them fight, and often one or both will get damaged enough that they parish.

I would break the whole acro off and move it if you like the way the cap is growing. The only Monti that I have seen kick the crap out of acros is the infamous "Macs Monti", but YMMV...

BTW, FWIW, I found out there is another cam one model up from mine with more zoom, so I would sell it for $400 ($500 new, 1 mo old). Or, a better option is to get that 995 from the place Keith did, but accessories will kill you!

Gary Majchrzak
02/07/2002, 12:14 AM
ReeferMac- I've never seen Montipora act as the aggressor against Acropora.You'd better get pictures! Usually Acro's win the fight,with the Monti skeleton forming a dead zone between the two combatants.Who was it that said,"Float like a butterflyfish and sting like a bee?".....

ReeferMac
02/07/2002, 06:03 AM
Dave - what model is it?

Gary - The Great Cassius Clay!

- Mac

Playfair
02/07/2002, 08:13 AM
It's a DSC-P3
Comes with an 8 meg memory stick, and video/USB cables/charger