PDA

View Full Version : 45minute fw dip for clams (!??!?!?!?!?)

DS
11/25/1999, 07:18 PM
Hi,
I was given advice by Dick Perrin at Tropicorium to give an ailing clam he sent me a 45 MINUTE dip in freshwater! I'm not sure if the clam was unhealthy when shipped, but he has avoided my calls until last night. I have already emailed many sources as to whether this is true or not but in the mean time, I'd like to hear what you have to say....is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
Here are the symptoms:curling mantle, not completely open, happiest in the am. Barely open after 4-5 hours of light... Open more on one end than the other- the most open side is the one with the byssal gland. But, good color in the morning and good reaction time to fish (all day)
What can I do?

DS
11/25/1999, 07:19 PM
BTW: I have had longterm success with my 3 other clams, 2 are maximas. One is ~10 months old in my tank

DS
11/25/1999, 09:57 PM
Yes. I asked him at least six times and he insisted up to an hour was ok.
Well, instead I am doing a sugar dip to give the clam a bit of energy to recover.

DS
11/25/1999, 11:12 PM
What's even more interesting is I took advice to put the clam in a bucket for 2hours with 2tablespoons of sugar. The clam already looks better! I guess it used it broke it down into glucose then energy.

Larry M
11/26/1999, 08:52 AM
Everyone speaks very highly of Dick Perrin, so I doubt he would be leading you astray. I have to say the 45 minute dip sounds very bizarre, though. When you used the sugar was it in a freshwater or saltwater dip? Maybe someone could convince Mr. Perrin to come on the board and explain this one for us.

------------------
Larry M

View a list of RC Member's websites at:
http://www.reefcentral.com/membersites.html

DS
11/26/1999, 09:16 AM
The water he was in was saltwater with sugar. I really think it might have worked.