PDA

View Full Version : New maxima not that colorful.

RobertT
02/05/2002, 06:05 PM
I just got a maxima from an online vendor. I had ordered their ultra grade maxima. What I got looks pretty bland coloring. Will this improve under my lighting? (400 w 10k)

toptank
02/05/2002, 08:20 PM
That's hard to say. Depending what lighting it was under before. It's really hard to see with your picture. It could be bleached due to lose of symbionts.

If it was under lower wattage light then I would not put directly under the 400watter till it acclimate to your lighting. IMO

If Jim Norris read this maybe he can add something.

Barry

OJsreef
02/05/2002, 08:33 PM
If thats sposed to be an ultra then i think you got stiffed (still a clam, im greatfull we can get/keep them). What vendor and how much? Can you get a above tank pic of it? You never know it might have a lot of potential.

jim norris
02/05/2002, 09:36 PM
Hello Robert,
That is an Ultra Maxima. What Most people do not tell you is that ultras are not always colorful. The pattern on the mantle is what makes it an ultra. It does look like a great clam please post more pictures. Some of the most awesome clams I have are label color maxs. How big is the clam? Can you find out how was it kept (lighting). Is it wild or farmed? I would try fatting it up for color.
Jim

OJsreef
02/05/2002, 10:20 PM
My bad , thanks Jim.

MiNdErAsR
02/05/2002, 11:35 PM
Be sure to provide some kind of live phytoplankton (like DT's). Despite popular opinion, I've had faded clams return to full glory under the right conditions. Your lights are fine too.

RobertT
02/06/2002, 07:03 AM
The clam is a Ponepeii. He is approx 3". Right now he is sitting on a rock on the bottom of my tank. I have DT's that Im using on a semi-regular basis. I'm still trying to work out how much to feed. My tank is 75G. I have a blue rim Deresea and the new Maxima. I just did not know if clams would increase their coloring if they are kept well. My camera is not very good, so the top picture is not too clear w/ the lights reflecting off the water.
Thanks
Robert

simonh
02/06/2002, 07:56 AM
I know that when we see the 'ultra' tag something bright blue (like seen on front of the Sprung/Delbeek book) is usually expected. However as seen recently in the forum some excellent golden colour clams seem to be turning up.