PDA

View Full Version : Great Job! Thank you!

SciGuy2
02/05/2002, 03:04 PM
Jon,

Great job on the article! As a lazy DIY'er I really like seeing all the plumbing info together in one place.

Thanks,
-Lee

Scrooge
02/05/2002, 05:06 PM
Just wanted to add my thumbs up, the article is great! It's nice to have some practical topics covered for a change. I printed a hard copy of this one :)

pnosko
02/10/2002, 02:21 AM
My :thumbsup: too! This should be required reading by anyone working in plumbing at Home Depot!

Regarding beveling, what is the main purpose? I've never done this before. I don't think I've even seen the tools. Seems to me, other than make it easier to join, it might aid in reducing turbulence?

I think you should've emphasized the instuction about applying glue to the female end. "Liberal amounts of glue" is advice you hear all the time, but you mention that excess glue shouldn't be left inside the female end (it needed to be bolded). This is probably where I've made bad joints before. I once cut open a joint I glued to see how it looked on the inside, and was amazed by how much you can restrict the flow through the joint by leaving too much glue in there. I now use liberal amounts on the male end and spare amounts (but full coverage) on the female end.

Thanks again for the great article.

Snailman
02/10/2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by pnosko
Regarding beveling, what is the main purpose? I've never done this before. I don't think I've even seen the tools. Seems to me, other than make it easier to join, it might aid in reducing turbulence?

I always do it because I know that you are supposed to. My guess is the rounded outer edge does not scrape glue off of the female part like a srape edge would. The inner bevel gets rid of the sharp and sometimes overhang from cutting the pipe so it does not interfere with the water flow. I got my pipe bevel from Home Depot. You can see a picture of it on my web site under the DIY project for the calcium reactor. www.usplastic.com sells all of the beveling tools shown in the article. I am glad you like the article.
Jon

glh7767
02/18/2002, 10:54 PM
Jon:

i hope your section is going to be a regular feature. one of the best introductory explanations i've ever seen in print, especially what to cement and what not to cement, and the excellent supplier lists. wish i had that info 4 years ago when i started this hobby. would have saved much aggravation. keep up the good work.

Snailman
02/18/2002, 10:59 PM
Yes Gary it is going to be a monthly column. Let me know what subject you would like one on.

glh7767
02/19/2002, 10:52 AM
i didn't have anything specific in mind, but off the top of my head

1. how to drill glass and acrylic aquariums for overflows, what can and cannot be drilled, proper tools, speeds, etc.
2. in making calcium reactors, protein skimmers, things with combos of pvc and acrylic, how to glue, what to glue with, what not to glue with.
3. anytime your describing a project, what suppliers, shortcuts, things you have found that can make the job easier, save time, save money.
4. basic tooling for dyi aquarium projects.

if i think about it, i'll probably come up with something else. i think if you take it from the perspective of a neophyte who has not done dyi before and you are trying to teach him, almost as an apprentice, and build on that each month, the column will be valuable.

hope any of this helps.