PDA

View Full Version : Compatible

PistolPete73
02/05/2002, 02:19 PM
I have just purchased a Dragon Wrasse aka NOVACULICHTHYS TAENIOURUS i believe i have that spelled right, anyway is this fish compatible with a COW FISH - PURPLE TANG and a CORAL BEAUTY in a 72 Gallon FO TANK? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.

FMarini
02/05/2002, 06:24 PM
Hi:
The dragon Wrasse (I assume its a small juvenile, not a 12" long adult) will do fine. These are cool little fish, very active and always hungry. As w/ all wrasses they hide under the substrate at night, and will eat meaty foods and moving inverts. The will chase ornamental shrimp, but should leave cleaners alone(YMMV). As an adult it willloose all its long finnage, and turn grayish green. These fish are also known as rockmovers, as they constantly turn over rocks, and rockwork exploring for eats. Great fish as a juvie.
My opinion
frank

PistolPete73
02/05/2002, 06:36 PM
Thanks. Yeah it's a juvie, about 4 inches long and moving all the coral around it can find :) anyway, my whole concern was after reading about the Dragon Wrasse in Dr. Burgress's Atlas which it tells me in there it's imcompatible as a community tank mate. But the LFS rep told me it was safe for the tanks as long as I hadn't any tiny fish in my tank. Anyway just wanted at least a second opinon on this from someone who had one, Thanks

hcs3
02/07/2002, 01:19 AM
hi pete

you may have problems with the cowfish in this mix. only time will tell. dragon wrasses can get aggressive as they grow.

as a side note to franks othrewise good advice, he mistakenly states that all wrasses bury in the sandbed. this is not true and will vary depending on species. for the dragon wrasse, however, this is true.

HTH

henry

PistolPete73
02/07/2002, 10:19 AM
Right now it's only been about 3 days and so far so good. Time will tell on what happens, but if the Dragon starts to get out of line back to the LFS he goes :) Ohh The Cow Fish is about 4'xs the size of the wrasse which i hope would be a good thing.