PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump Question

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 02:04 PM
Hey guys I am looking to get a new return pump. The return pump will go in my sump and be split by a SCWD to two U-tubes (made of PVC) that will provide flow in the tank that Y off with loc-line.

I need a recommendation on a good/great pump that wont fizzle out on power once it travels up to the tank and splits off.
I figure about 4 foot of tubing max to the SCWD and maybe 2 feet max from each arm of the SCWD. Any recommendations on what I should use and where I could find a good price?

I was thinking about a RIO Pump
Taam Rio 20 Hyper Flow Pump/Powerhead or a Taam Rio 26 Hyper Flow Pump/Powerhead...

I thought about a mag but lots of people say they are super loud :(

Any suggestions or places for a good price?

chad508
06/23/2005, 02:13 PM
i am using a mag 18 that is split with a squid about 6" above the pump. i like it but you will loose about 40% of your flow with the squid.i would recomend the biggest pump you can get and just throttle it down if you need to. the only bad thig is the squid can only handle like 1400 gph. like i said earlier im running 1800 gph through mine with no problem and i would like to have a mag 24 so i can get some more flow out of it.

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by chad508
i am using a mag 18 that is split with a squid about 6" above the pump. i like it but you will loose about 40% of your flow with the squid.i would recomend the biggest pump you can get and just throttle it down if you need to. the only bad thig is the squid can only handle like 1400 gph. like i said earlier im running 1800 gph through mine with no problem and i would like to have a mag 24 so i can get some more flow out of it.

Exactly, I knew I would lose a lot of pressure, so I guess I was looking for whats the best way to go on minimal noise and a reasonable price.

chad508
06/23/2005, 03:08 PM
as far as price i paid $100 bucks for my mag 18 online. and as best i can tell there is no noise. i do run it in the sump so im not sure how loud it is out of the sump.

H2OLUVSME
06/23/2005, 03:09 PM
ivre read a lot of bad things about rio pumps. supposedly they get better every year, so maybe there arent any problems with the new pumps, but it makes me leary. i waited for the SEIOs (also built by taam) to get good reviews for a while before i even considered one.

i havent heard too many bad reviews about the mag line of pumps though. i never really researched them too much, but it seems that the general concensus is that they are great pumps for the money, especially if run internal. the only problem ive heard about is them having a slow leak if run externally.

i run surge 7500s on two different tanks. they seem to work real well. they provide plenty of flow, but may not be enough after running through the SCWD. they do run a little warm.

have you thought about running the SCWD on a closed loop, and having a smaller return pump? ive noticed if i run my 7500s wide open i get a considerable amount more micro bubbles. also, i feel my refugium and skimmer are much more effective with a lower voume of water travelling through the sump.

how much volume is your sump?
do you have a good baffle system to combat bubbles with high flow?

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 03:25 PM
I actually use a wet dry that I got from chad that seems to be about 15 gallons.. the return pump would have to go in there.

bugshop
06/23/2005, 03:30 PM
I'm running a mag 18 with a SCWD alot like Chad
but I split mine off, with a ball valve to reg. flow, to go
to the skimmer too. My POS hang on overflow can't handle the
the flow of the 18 at full flow:rolleyes:
And the 18 is quieter than my mag 5.

As for Rio......resist the urge!!! I'm one of those
that has had a bad experience with them:mad:

Timmy

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bugshop
I'm running a mag 18 with a SCWD alot like Chad
but I split mine off, with a ball valve to reg. flow, to go
to the skimmer too. My POS hang on overflow can't handle the
the flow of the 18 at full flow:rolleyes:
And the 18 is quieter than my mag 5.

As for Rio......resist the urge!!! I'm one of those
that has had a bad experience with them:mad:

Timmy

See I have a hang on overflow, of course the one that comes with the 150 wetdry (is that right chad?) It seems a lil larger than most, so I assume (tricky word huh) tha tit could handle it.... Do the mags have any stands ro suction cups, maybe that would help kill the noise as it doesnt touch the sides?

bugshop
06/23/2005, 03:55 PM
My 18 came with a foam pad for it to sit on but I lost it a
move or two ago:rollface: It seemed to help but I still can't hear it in my sump in the stand.
I have my doubts that your overflow will handle the flow without
alot of flushing noise but a ball valve between the pump
and SCWD should fix that.

HTH Timmy

H2OLUVSME
06/23/2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Reefn00b
I actually use a wet dry that I got from chad that seems to be about 15 gallons.. the return pump would have to go in there.

try and find the manufactureres info on that sump. i am willing to bet it cant handle more than 800 or so gallons efficiently. i believe Chad sold you the model above the one i have. it was on my 29 with 150 gph of flow effectively. i could have run more through it, but it was only rated for 400-600 gph.

H2OLUVSME
06/23/2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by bugshop
but a ball valve between the pump
and SCWD should fix that.

i dont know how the mag works, but puting a ball valve on my surge made it produce a lot more heat.

no worries, i dont need a heater any more :D

bugshop
06/23/2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
i dont know how the mag works, but puting a ball valve on my surge made it produce a lot more heat.

no worries, i dont need a heater any more :D

It may but when I was running mine like that
there wasn't problem, heat has only recently become a problem:rolleyes:

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 05:15 PM
Man this is nerve racking because everything is so tempramental.. Maybe I'll go with the mag :-\ know where i could find a good price? and recommend a model? Being a newbie sux :) I wish I knew all the stuff you guys know!:confused:

bugshop
06/23/2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Reefn00b
Being a newbie sux :) I wish I knew all the stuff you guys know!:confused:

You think it is nerve racking now...
the more you learn the less you know :rolleyes:

I got my mag 18 (new) from a guy on ebay.
I think it was less than $100 for it and a SCWD.

Timmy

dvmsn
06/23/2005, 07:35 PM
I have a supreme 3600 that leaks for $50.00. the body itself seems fine, I just think it need seals, but that is just a guess. If your handy, I feel confident you could figure it out.

Reefn00b
06/23/2005, 08:28 PM
Haha, Thanks Dave but handy I am not... just ask Rick. I will keep it in mind though because I would love to pick something up in the next week!

H2OLUVSME
06/24/2005, 10:34 AM
look back through the old threads. Chad posted a link to some where selling mag pumps real cheap.

chad508
06/24/2005, 01:21 PM
it was petco that had them half off with free shipping.

Reefn00b
06/29/2005, 09:31 AM
Alright so I decided I'll get either a mag 12, run it externally (less heat) and add a ball valve to the pump so it wont run wide open and I can control the flow a lil bit.

What do you guys think? DO you think my hang on back over flow can handle it or sump as you guys mentioned?

bugshop
06/29/2005, 03:01 PM
I think it will support a mag 12
especially if you use a SCWD.

Timmy

will1021
06/29/2005, 04:32 PM
If you add a ball valve and it is flowing too much, you can just adjust the ball valve.

chad508
06/29/2005, 05:05 PM
just remember to put the ball valve on the outflow side of the pump

Reefn00b
06/29/2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by chad508
just remember to put the ball valve on the outflow side of the pump

Good Call :D