PDA

View Full Version : Nannochloropsis Paste

alde
12/01/1999, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I just got my Nannochloropsis Paste from Brine Shrip Direct. How often should this stuff be used?

Thank you, Al

------------------
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

FOX
12/01/1999, 01:40 PM
What is your tank size and inhabitants?

FOX

------------------
members.xoom.com/KoryFox/index.htm (http://members.xoom.com/KoryFox/index.htm)

alde
12/01/1999, 02:40 PM
Hi Fox,

My tank is 65 gallons and has 2 open brains, a frogspawn, meat coral, bubble coral, green finger coral, pulsing xenia and variuos yellow and button polyps, mushrooms, 3 fish 2 shrimp and a sally lightfoot crab. Of course there are several hermits and snails and all the other pods and worms and small feather dusters.

I feed a cube of frozen food every day. I switch between Prime Reef, Formula 1 and a couple of others.

All animals seem healthy and happy.

Best regards, Al

[This message has been edited by alde (edited 12-01-1999).]

FOX
12/01/1999, 02:45 PM
I would probably start with 1 or 2 drops per day and work my way up from there. When you get to the point that the water clouds a little bit(turns greenish) for a few minutes, you're in pretty good shape, but you don't want to overfeed the stuff right off the bat. Don't forget to shut the skimmer off for at least a few hours when you dose it. I just leave mine off overnight.

FOX

------------------

npaden
12/01/1999, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know if this stuff is bad for fish? My Clarkii Clown has decided that it tastes good or something and tries to eat it every time I add it. I probally should mix it with water and then add it to the tank, but I have been adding drops in front of a powerhead and letting it blow it around. I have been adding 1ml twice a week to my 120 with 2 clams and a nonphotosynthetic gorgonian and 2 large feather dusters that I think are the primary benefactors of the paste. (lots of corals, fish, etc.. as well). Any thoughts? Nathan

------------------
Visit my homepage at padens.homepage.com (http://padens.homepage.com)

newkie
12/01/1999, 04:38 PM
npaden,

I really don't think its bad if they eat it. I mean, it just plankton. My fish try to eat anything I drop in to the tank when they are hungry including the paste and I haven't witnessed any ill effects.

JohnL
12/01/1999, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My fish try to eat anything I drop in to the tank when they are hungry including the paste...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My tangs tried to eat a caulastrea I was placing into the tank last night ;)

------------------
Regards - John

jimhobbs
12/01/1999, 07:29 PM
If you just recieved your paste, make sure and immediately FREEZE it and store it that way...There is some concern with the products shelf life if only refridgerated{matter of days???}...Rob Toonen has written BSD concerning their lack of clarity on that matter...He might be able to give a more accurate shelf life for the non-frozen product...Today, I personally took delivery of three new bottles to pop immediately in the deepfreeze...The first group is currently frozen, but probably will be thrown out...I'm pretty sure it was a week or so before I froze them back the first time{stayed by the milk!}...Best regards...Jim

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 12-01-1999).]

JohnL
12/01/1999, 07:38 PM
Funny, here is the reply I got from the manufacturer when I asked about keeping them in the refrigerator.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The products will be just fine. They will keep for 4-6 months in the refrigerator and 2-3 years in the freezer.

So how is the algae working for you?

Thank you,

Randy Reed
Reed Mariculture Inc.
San Jose, CA USA
"Instant Algae" Marine Microalgae Concentrate
e-mail : rreed@seafarm.com
WWW : http://www.seafarm.com
toll free : 1-888-4-Seafarm (888-473-2327)
phone : 1-831-768-3830
fax : 1-831-401-2474
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Regards - John

Joe Mac
12/01/1999, 08:17 PM
alde,

Wow, what a coincidence! I just got my first shipment of Nannochloropsis Paste Brine Shimp Direct today too. I was just about to ask some questions about it, but decided to "cruise the boards" first to see if there was any info on the subject first, and here you were!

I also bought some SELCO and T-isochrysis. My main concern is that, although excellently insulated, wrapped, and cold-packed, the bottles were not chilled at all when I received them. Perhaps they were in a hot truck too long or something. Anyway, I immediately put them in the refrigerator. I think that I should put most of it in the freezer, because I just started my 125g reef.

I only have one large Hawaiian feather duster, a baseball sized galaxy coral, a six inch gorgonian (although it has about 30 "branches") and four medium sized sponges. Of course I have all the other critters that come along with 130 lbs of liverock.

Will the product dispense if it is frozen, or do you have to let it thay first? How much would you recommend I feed and the frequency on such a large tank, so sparsely populated? Two drops every few days? Is it OK to freeze the SELCON?

Hope you don't mind my tagging along on you thread alde!

Thanks,
Joe Mac

JohnL
12/01/1999, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Will the product dispense if it is frozen, or do you have to let it thay first?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will dispense when frozen.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Is it OK to freeze the SELCON?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so.

------------------
Regards - John

DougL
12/01/1999, 09:44 PM
Joe Mac;

I have a web page devoted to phytoplankton.
its at http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/phytoplankton.html

I have 3 types and love it so far. Definitely is liquid at -10F

Hope this helps;

DougL

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy

alde
12/01/1999, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I put the bottle in the freezer right away. It was still quite cold when I got it. The ice pack was still a bit frozen. Of course it has not been very warm here in western Washington.

I will be feeding every day as Fox suggested. I also ordered the other types of algea from BSD. It should be here any day. I will give my first feeding of it in a few minutes.

Joe Mac, I don't think you can go wrong if you follow Fox's dosing suggestion.

As I understand it, the paste will mostly feed the mini fauna which will help the populations to rise. This will in turn feed the corals. Is this correct?

Thanks, Al

P.S. DougL Page is full of great info. It is well worth reading.

------------------
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

[This message has been edited by alde (edited 12-01-1999).]

Larry M
12/01/1999, 10:15 PM
Joe Mac--You don't want to freeze the Selcon. In fact, the manufacturer recommends you not even refrigerate it. I talked to them by telephone a couple of weeks ago-they told me refrigerating it may cause it to separate. He said shelf life is 6 to 9 months when kept at room temperature.

------------------
Larry M

View a list of RC Member's websites at:
http://www.reefcentral.com/membersites.html

Joe Mac
12/01/1999, 11:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info guys... glad I asked about the SELCON before I threw the whole kit and caboodle in the freezer! I too find Alan's advice to be consistently good. My concern was the low coral populations, but your (alda's) advice about the mini fauna certainly makes sense. Although, when you first asked how much to feed your tank, Alan's prerequesite question concerned your critter population, so I assumed it to be important as to the amount to feed.

BTW, I'm headed for: http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/phytoplankton.html right now!

Thanks for the help!

Joe Mac

[This message has been edited by Joe Mac (edited 12-01-1999).]

JohnL
12/02/1999, 01:30 AM
Al,
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As I understand it, the paste will mostly feed the mini fauna which will help the populations to rise. This will in turn feed the corals. Is this correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my understanding also.

Larry,
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I talked to them by telephone a couple of weeks ago-they told me refrigerating it may cause it to separate. He said shelf life is 6 to 9 months when kept at room temperature.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip. After I read your post, I took mine out of the frige. I just ordered a new bottle and it is seperated into two layers also. I shake it up before using it. Is that normal or did I get some old stuff? Doesn't BSD sell a similar HUFA product? I wonder if it would be fresher?

------------------
Regards - John

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 12-02-1999).]

FOX
12/02/1999, 08:39 AM
The statements about the pastes feeding the fauna and that fauna feeding the corals are correct. The pastes will dispense when frozen because of the way it's cryogenically preserved. Something they add(glycerin I think) keeps it from actually freezing.

John-I called BSD last week and they told me to freeze unless I was going to keep it less than a month. I posted that to the reefkeepers list because Rob Toonen was very upset(to say the least) that the bottles say refrigerate. He said that tests he has run shows that the product quickly(as in a day or less) loses it's nutritional value when not frozen. And it gets worse every day it's not frozen. Unfortunetly I had mine refrigerated for a month before this conversation, but I'm going to finish the bottles off anyway.

FOX

------------------

JohnL
12/02/1999, 02:06 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Kory. I had mine in the frige for a few weeks too. I think maybe I'll order a replacement.

------------------
Regards - John

Rays
12/02/1999, 08:02 PM
I've had the Nanno and the Iso, since August. It's been in the freezer since arrival. It doesn't freeze, it just becomes a thick free flowing "ooze". I have a 55, and pre mix 2 drops of each with the tank water in a small bottle, then add back to tank. I add about 2 hours before lights out, and leave the skimmer off until morning. My corals are growing like crazy. :) :) :)

------------------
What! I need this too?