PDA

View Full Version : A threat to Mimics

Gonodactylus
02/05/2002, 02:51 AM
There is no question that the mimic octopus and relatives such as wonderpus are remarkable animals. Whether they are capable of the repertoire of behaviors attributed to them remains to be seen. Even if their mimetic abilities are limited, we must marvel at the images of these animals that have been captured on video. However, as the animals become better known, they are also becoming more desirable for public aquarists, scientists and hobbyists alike. The pressures to acquire and attempt to keep and display them are rapidly increasing. It is not uncommon to see requests for such animals and often the amount of money offered for them is staggering - $100 and up. At this point, I think we should all take a deep breath and think seriously about the biology of this species, what such bounties are likely to mean for their survival, and what motivates us to want one for our very own.

If there is one fact that we know about mimics, it is that they are rare. Since they were first recognized, very few have been collected or observed in the wild. Even in areas which are extensively dived by knowledgeable naturalists such as the Lembeh Straights, sightings have been infrequent and sporadic. The same is true of habitats in Bali. Yes, it is a big ocean. However, the habitats apparently suitable for the mimic are limited and easily accessible and the number of people (including collectors) diving on them is rapidly increasing.

In a few areas, individual mimics are occasionally identified by underwater guides who take divers to see them. Most of what we know of these animals comes from such sightings. With the bounties being offered for these animals, it is increasingly likely that some collectors will be unable to resist the temptation and these animals will end up in the collection bucket. You don't want to know the fate of most cephalopods collected in Indonesia for export. By offering importers high prices for mimics, I am deeply concerned that we are creating a market that rapidly will exhaust the supply. I have always supported the aquarium trade and the responsible collecting of non-threatened species. However, this is one species where what little we know about it suggests that zealous collectors could have an almost immediate impact on local populations and quite possibly threaten its very existence.

I would urge everyone, amatures and professionals alike, to curtail your desire to display these animals. Hopefully with our help they can continue to survive in the wild where they can be studied, photographed and appreciated. To my mind, risking several of these rare beasts so that one might live for a few months (with no hope of successfully reproducing)in an aquarium just isn't worth the price.

Roy

OctoMonkey
02/05/2002, 01:55 PM
Roy,

I think that everything you said is very fair and is obviously well thought out. However, I would like to throw open a few points and get clarification on some things...

I feel that the words "Mimic" and "Octopus" could be swapped for a lot of other words, perhaps like "coral" or "fish" or "crustacean". My point being that everything said about mimic could just as easily be said in every forum here. It is simply bad luck on mimics part that it has nice colours and pretends to be other stuff.

In our interests and our hobbies within "home aquaculture" we always have that dilemma, "It's a shame to take it from the wild but it's gonna look cool as hell in my tank!" Not just octopuses but every living plant, animal or other living thing we keep. So where do we draw the line?

I believe as a zoologist, who has worked with many different animals in different zoos and wildlife parks that keeping animals without the intent of breeding is unjustified and wasteful. Reef/Ceph keeping is still in its infancy but gradually more home bred species are sold in shops. Through experiences like the ones shared here we will eventually be able to produce enough home grown cephs for the market. at least we have instant messaging on the WWW or posts in forums. News and hints travel much quicker these days than before.

However, again i come to a sticky point... I feel that over the years while visiting shops which sell animals to the trade and public i have prevented many animals from being bought by unsuspecting people. The catch 22 is that by me "saving" an animal did i just encourage someone to collect another?

According to IUCN and CITES no species of octopus is listed as endangered. That simply means in many cases that there is no economic value in them.... yet. As suggested people are offering more money for specimens.

I hope someone can add to my next point..... While thinking about the survival of an octopus species. I am unconvinced about the over collecting issue. Especially for an animal which has the capacity, in some cases of octopus, to brood several hundred thousand youngsters. Does anyone know about mimics egg laying yet?

Just because an animal is not frequently seen doesn't mean its rare. I did some lengthy research on a supposably extremely rare invertebrate in the rainforests of Trinidad called Peripatis. It was thought to be the missing link between arthropods and annelids. Many people's expeditions to locate these species were futile. The animal was thought to be almost extinct. However once you know where to look and what season etc. its much easier. In fact I would say these animals are common in Trinidad. My example is pointing to the fact that they may just be hard to find... they bury don't they?

All species of marine life are threatened by humans. All.

We have a duty to ourselves, each other and the animals we keep to do the best we can for them.
At least we are among those who care enough to visit forums to learn more. To learn what to do and what not to do with our charges.

Mimics and Wunderpus have cool colours and may even mimic venomous animals but lets not just single them out for protection. This forum has dissuaded some people from trying to keep cephs and tries very hard to help each other who do keep cephs already. So whether it is bimac, mimic, vulgaris, or whatever, I am sure that nobody wants these creatures to be harmed directly or indirectly by us.

Colin

Gonodactylus
02/05/2002, 03:09 PM
Colin,

I couldn't agree with you more that most marine life is potentially threatened by human activities. I also support efforts to culture a variety of stock for public, commercial and private display. Over the years I have been a advocate for supporting hobbyists. I firmly believe that public awareness of, and interest in, marine diversity offers one of our best routes to marine conservation. There is a reason, however, that I felt compelled to comment on mimics. I strongly believe that they represent a special case that deserves special attention. Let me make a couple of points with respect to your comments.

1. True, mimics are not listed as endangered and they do not appear on any CITES schedule. That is obviously the case for the vast majority of invertebrates. In fact, until mimics are formally named (I don't think the paper is out yet), it would be difficult to get them listed.

2. It is possible that mimics are not rare. However, I personally believe that they are. They occur in a rather specialized habitat that is rapidly being destroyed. Experienced octopus hunters have searched for them in a variety of locations and only a few have been spotted. I know many of the scientists involved and also some of the underwater guides. They may not find every animal, but they are very good at spotting day-active beasts and only dozens have been seen, not hundreds or thousands. I certainly appreciate that "rare" animals may not be so uncommon once you know what to look for and where. We are currently studying an undescribed species of moderately sized, day-active octopus in Indonesia that occurs in less than one meter of water. Densities are about one per 10 sq. m - extremely abundant for any octopus. It seemed "rare" when we first found it, but it isn't. However, my point is that people do know where to look for mimics and many people are looking. Worse yet, a few animals are being located and repeatedly visited. A good example is Bali. This area is extensively dived and the location of a few mimics is/was known. Put a price on their head and they will quickly "disappear". That, unfortunately, is the economic reality of the region.

As for rarity and reproductive potential, this really is a complicated issue. It doesn't matter if this is a small-egged species (which it is) that produces thousands of eggs or a large egged species that produces fewer than a hundred. What matters is how many survive to reproduce. This depends on so many variables, many unique to the species, that we can't generalize. I suspose that you could argue that small-egged species might have greater powers of dispersal, but without knowing the survival of paralarvae in the plankton and how long they are up there, that would be only speculation. In fact, I woould argue that it might be better if the mimic was a large-egged species. Then we would have a decent chance a culturing it.

It would be great if we could acquired a sufficient number of specimens to keep them in aquaria around the world, learn their habits and how to culture them, etc. I would strongly support this for a species like O. cyanea that is widely distributed and while impacted in some areas, is still abundant in others. It makes a great aquarium animal and offers a nice alternative to bimacs. However, I just don't think there is the population base to support intense collection for mimics. The same interconnectivity that you mentioned as helping culturing efforts is in this case a curse. People around the world know about mimics and want one. The market isn't just in the US, Germany, the UK, etc. but extends around the world. How many public aquaria would like to exhibit one? How many scientists, myself included, would dearly love to have a few to study? How many amature cephalopod enthusiasts would shell out big bucks to have one? And how many hobbyists walking into their local LFS would put down their money just because they look cool? By promoting this exceptional animal I'm afraid that we have creaded a demand that may do it in.

Roy

cephalopoder
02/05/2002, 09:40 PM
I was lucky to acquire one through my supplier, who had one in his shop. He contacted me knowing I had the most experience of the people he dealt with and could give it the best home.
I took the offer and had the mimic shipped to me. Now my supplier had no idea what he had mind you. All he knew is he had another fancy zebra octopus.
I had been offered twice before a chance to buy a zebra octopus. The first two times it turned out to be wonderpus. The first one found a home at the NRCC when I had no room for it and died in their tanks a few days later. Now mind you for those who don't know what the NRCC stands for they are the National Resource Center for Cephalopods. If any one has a chance of keeping a octopus alive these people are some of the best. But even in their expert hands it died in a few days.
A second specimen was offered to me at a time I was in Costa Rica and had no way to know it was being offered to me till I got home from the trip and read my email. When I called my supplier I found it died two days after having it in his tank.
Now both of these octopuses cost more than twice what a bullet proof biamc would cost.
Why did they die so quick? Collection methods maybe, the use of cyanide, stress, delicate octopus...Who knows ? But what I do know is after thinking about it, these animals cost allot, die easily even at the hands of the pros and are rare even to see in the wild. For the money... you would be better off with a bimaculoides that has 10 times more things going for it than a zebra octopus at about 1/3 the cost.
When I got the mimic It arrived weak, a few legs half missing and on the verge of death.
I was lucky enough to nurse it back to health and save it. Why was I able to?, maybe this one was not collected with cyanide. It seems that species that are sand dwelling octopuses are chased out of their holes 99% of the time with cyanide in order to collect them for the trade.
Maybe this animal is better of being left alone till we know more about it. From what I know they do not do well in captivity. I can only immagine how many must have died before this one managed to live.
After having this animal for 5 months now I will tell you the pros and cons of owning one.
Pros... 1)They are way cool looking!

Cons..... 1)They require a very deep fine sand bed of 8 to 10 inches to feel safe. They will not live under rocks, in tubing or any other home. This is a must!!!!!! And they can live under the sand for days!
2) They demand exceptional water quality even above most common octopuses.
3) They require a heated tank kept at a steady controlled temp.
4) They hide allot and seem to prefer a very dim lit tank.
5) When they are active is seems to be late at night and very early morning when light is the weakest.
6) They don't interact very much at all and have a dull personality. They are not very exciting folks. They also cost way more than a bimac that has 10 times the personality!!!
7) They should have a large long tank because when they do come out they like to swim and seem to ink out of frustration if they keep hitting glass which then requires a water change for this species. Even with a kick butt skimmer and carbon they seem to sleep allot if you don't.
8) They are very sensitive to some brands of salt. I almost killed mine by switching to a very common brand and would not have figured it out if I didn't keep a log.
9) They have no real color or texture change ability, so all the time you have a dull brown and white octo unless it gets mad then its black.
10) No one to date has done a toxin test on them and for all we know they could be poisonous!
If you want a cool fun octo that will blow your socks off...get a bimac!
chris