PDA

View Full Version : your article

aLittletank
02/05/2002, 12:11 AM
Nicely done on the atricle Horge! Very informative and easy to follow. It was nice to see you let your humor slip in as well evan if it was subtle. :)

I was wondering if the RC- wet/dry vac would handle bubble algea as well? :D

I hope to read more from you in the future.
Allen

Skipper
02/05/2002, 01:03 AM
Yeah, ditto. I enjoyed it as well, Horge. Very informative.

JerseyReef
02/05/2002, 05:39 AM
Very well put together... :cool:

horge
02/05/2002, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, it means a lot to me, what you think.
Seriously.

horge

kevinpo
02/05/2002, 12:10 PM
Horge,
Great article! I think everyone who has a SW tank for very long has dealt with this problem/challenge. Thank you for the useful and informative article.

Regards,
Kevin

LisaP
02/05/2002, 01:53 PM
Horge,

Great... after reading your excellent article I now know that I have more than one different type of bubble algae in my tank! Arrgggghhh, as if one wasn't enough! LOL :D

Actually I wonder if you could help me I.D. this algae? I think that maybe it's Dictyosphaeria sp. What do you think? I just have the one thallus and have done for months now. At least it provides something other to look at than Valonia ;)

Thank you for your time :)

SciGuy2
02/05/2002, 03:00 PM
Great job on the article, Horge! Well written and very informative.

Thank you,
-Lee

horge
02/05/2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks again!

LisaP,

Yep.
That's Dictyosphaeria cavernosa, in all likelihood.
Very common in coral lagoons.

If it isn't sprouting up elsewhere in alarming fashion, you might choose to leave it alone. If it IS, then you need to remove it physically. If its anchored to bare rock, and not onto other algae, then you may have a tough time unless you use a chisel-like tool (even a hard plastic spoon will do, actually) to gouge it off intact --with a siphon ready to draw off debris, like in the article:)

Now, if you want to play it safe and obliterate it regardless... :)
Try to get it whole NOW while the vesicle still hasn't ruptured.

:D

Angel*Fish
02/06/2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that wonderful informative article! It is such a pleasure to get detailed information in a way that aims the information at the specific interest of the aquariast -

I hope you plan on writing more algae articles -- I have a red algae that looks like a picture of a green colored algae in Fenner's book that he labeled a Dictyota - would love to read articles on the requirements of some of the more attractive species!

Thanks again!

LisaP
02/06/2002, 01:13 PM
Horge,

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated :D

I haven't tried to remove it yet because, as luck would have it, it is growing in a fairly inaccessible spot. Typical eh!! Every time I look at it though I itch to get out my algae removing equipment (rigid tube attached to some flexible hose....great for sucking up valonia). It looks to be well attached to the rock too, but I do have only the one (at the moment, ha ha!)

Oh well, I may try to attack it this weekend ;)

Thanks again

Regards

Lisa

horge
02/07/2002, 05:42 PM
LisaP,

No hay problema :)

Marie,

Dictyota comes in many colors, even within a single species, so it just may BE what you have now. If you have a pic, also a real closeup --we can try to guess at an ID

:)

horge

Greatreefer
02/11/2002, 09:58 PM
My tank is full of various types of bubble Algae How do I kill it?
I read the article, my only question is what types of sea urchins eat this type of algae, and is there any other types of inverts that would eat it also?

MUST DESTROY BUBBLE ALGAE!
(VERY DESPERATE)

horge
02/12/2002, 05:51 PM
If you must turn to urchins, go with Diadema setosum, though nearly any other Diadema will do. But that alone is no solution. Indeed, bubble outbreaks can be defeated WITHOUT resort to urchins:

The thrust of the article was that in a serious outbreak, you cannot get away from resorting to manual removal. Urchins and other herbivores are there mostly to take care of new, young sprouts.

Most bubble algae have to have 'bubbles' at least 1/3 to 2/3 their maximum size to be spore-bearing --so messy herbivorous action (mostly against new sprouts) doesn't release too many spores. The larger vesicles will have to be diligently removed (whole if possible). Some people use bare fingers to try to gouge, twist out the vesicles at the root, but I prefer an implement like a small (stainless) screwdriver.

On top of that, there is denying the algae their nutrients, and the article goes on at length describing how.

hth,
horge

jt09
03/01/2002, 11:14 AM
Great article- it answered my questions pretty well. Could you please help me with this a bit more? I have a 46 gal tank w/ 90lbs LR, one cleaner shrimp and 3-4 turbo snails.

I will manually remove the algae, but have a couple of questions- will my cleaner shrimp get along with an emerald crab? How many emerald crabs are appropriate for a 46 gal tank w/ 90 lbs LR?

By the way- my brother married a Phillipino woman about 5 years ago and we all went to The Phillipines for the wedding. What an incredible place!! I had a great time both in Manila and in her (my sister in law's) village, which was about 2 hrs outside Manilla near Mt. Taal (I think I have that right?!) What a beautiful countryside- my only complaint was all of the roosters crowing in the morning! Still have my barong from the wedding too.

horge
03/22/2002, 02:07 PM
Hi and sorry for the very late reply.
I'd actually signed out on this forum already, and was just checking out of boredom, haha.

I've been in transit to various cities in the US, and am presently freezing my butt off here in Chicago :)

For so long as you have a real Mithrax sculptus and yhere is enough fodder in the tank for it, there is a minimal chance of the crab bothering your shrimp.

But me? Personally, I don't like crabs, hehe.
They all have the seed of carnivory in 'em.

Taal is a beautiful place!
It's a jeepney ride away some of the best coral reef snorkelling in the Philippines, from Anilao all the way to Ligpo.

horge