PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera recommendations

reef_ayuh
02/04/2002, 09:16 PM
Any recommendations for a digital camera? Looking to spend $200-$300. USB connection prefered. It will be mostly for general purpose photgraphy, but of course I'll want to try to take some pics of my fish:D

RA

Leopardshark
02/05/2002, 01:39 AM
I was thinking the same like you, "a cheap camera" but re2me2mbe2r this, if you´re going to spend money, do it in something that´s worth it.
Results, i have a Nikon 995 and I wouldn´t change it for any other camera in this world.

Reef Developer
02/05/2002, 02:20 PM
Look for the camera with a)the most number of megapixels and b)the features you want. There's a LOT of cameras out there, so you really have to educate yourself on the features you need. I ended up getting an Olympus c3040 because of the higher megapixels and number of features.

Here's a good site to get you started:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp775/page14.asp

And this guy (Dave) has the most un-biased and in depth reviews:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Make sure you check out his picks.

Kevin

reef_ayuh
02/05/2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I suspect color quality is a top priority for fish pictures. Is this something to purchase online, or is it worth it to pay a few more $$ and try it out? Any recommended merchants? Online or local.

RA

Reef Developer
02/06/2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by reef_ayuh
Thanks for the info. I suspect color quality is a top priority for fish pictures. Is this something to purchase online, or is it worth it to pay a few more $$ and try it out? Any recommended merchants? Online or local.

RA

You know, the good thing with color quality and digital cameras is that its -not- as much of an issue as film cameras. In the film world there's numerous opinions and "insights" into the different characteristics of film. Most noticibly film speed and the color cast it has. Well, with digital its not an issue. You can control the color cast your picture has via something called "white balance". This allows you to balance the white point for different scenarios (outdoor, indoor, etc...). So with film, you know how some shots look really yellowish or bluish? Before you could do nothing besides change film, use filters or mess with lighting and flashes.

Different cameras will have different characteristics in terms of picture quality. You can see comparisons at the 2 sights I mentioned. But unless your shooting stuff that has to be top quality and printed at a high resolution than it won't make that much of a difference.

Go to you local camera shop and other places like Compusa to look at the cameras. You could buy online, but watch out for the shadier places that have too-good-to-be-true prices. I use www.bhphoto.com online.

Good luck!

micagreenmachine
02/06/2002, 02:42 PM
Here's another good site:

http://www.steves-digicams.com

I just bought an underwater camera housing for my Oly C4040 from bhphoto. I ordered it yesterday at 2:00 p.m. and it was waiting for me at work this morning! Great service!!! (I'm in Chicago and BH is in NY) I used their cheapest shipping too and was told to expect it in 3 to 5 days!

Get the best you can afford. Make sure you get something that'll do what you want it to. Be careful for "grey market" stuff on the internet with the to good to be true prices. (no warantee, no recourse from the seller, could come with Japanese menus only, etc...)

Gotta go,
~Todd

Gamera
02/06/2002, 07:28 PM
I enjoy the DiMage 7 camera.

It works like a champ and features liquid crystal technology. I couldn't ask for more.

:D

fishguy4
02/06/2002, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Well the type of camera depends on what you are going to mostly use it for.

The higher the meg the better the picture(higher concentration of pixels) but longer download time.

If you are going to use your camera to post pictures on your web site or e-mail pictures. I would suggest 1.3 meg camera

If you want to post on the web and print tangible pics; I suggest 2.1 meg (5x7 pic) or higher. (very sharp pics) usually has options to change resolution

Another thing to look for is Optical Zoom. The higher the zoom better the quality

Don't be fooled by digital zooms they are very different and have poorer quality

You can have both zooms in a camera -- that is a good thing.

I use a power shot s110 digital elph by cannon ($400.00)
2.1 meg

check out my web site all the pic are from this camera

www.thefishguystl.com

I hope I helped you out

fishguy4