PDA

View Full Version : I nuked the flatworms (and probably everything else)

lanamarks
06/20/2005, 07:33 AM
Well I finally dosed the tank with flatworm exit. And let me tell you, there was a huge flatworm massacre. Unfortunately a lot of other things felt the effect as well.

So far I have lost my starfish and a royal gramma (he was getting pretty old though). All of my snails appear to be dead. I'm not sure though because I pulled one out and it started to move a little. If they are still like that tonight I am trashing them anyway.

Most of my corals appear okay (not fully opened) but the remaining fish are pretty stressed. I'm afraid I might lose another one or two.

I have done about 5 5gal water changes which is helping (I think). Unfortunately if critters are dying it just fouls the water up again.

After the power outage and now this I am a little discouraged. My husband is ready to see the tank go and to be honest I have thought about it and getting a smaller one because I really like my nano. We'll see though.

jokeloma
06/20/2005, 02:43 PM
Don't give up, I think it's situations like this that truly define lasting sucess. Times like these really help you appreciate your tank more.

I bet your corals will be fine and you will get through this just fine.

quaz
06/20/2005, 10:05 PM
Don't the flat worms release toxins when they die? That is the main reason I haven't used flat worm exit. I've heard it works well though. It's just scarey also to put in anything that is designed to KILL anything though, even red slime remover. I believe I had a flame scallop massacer when I dosed red slime remover.

lanamarks
06/21/2005, 07:41 AM
Yes. There were so many and they tell you to siphon them out but when they are shriveling up and blowing all over thats not very easy to do.

On a sad note my favorite fish - Dory (my 5" regal tang) died and a little chromis.

My rainfordi and firefish appear to be okay. My little clown looked really bad yesterday morning but looks much better now and the big clown looks fine. My mandarin is iffy. Not sure if he's just a little sluggish or sick.

We'll see.

GSerg2
06/21/2005, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I hope it all works out for you. Hang in there. I almost quick two years ago during two huge battles with algae. First hair and then bryopsis. I finally won but I almost quick a couple of times.

lanamarks
06/21/2005, 12:26 PM
I don't want to get out of the hobby, just thinking about downgrading. I'd love to get a 30 gal oceanic cube and sell my 100 gal. It is georgeous but I think I may try scaling back. I may post a thread just to see if anyone would be interested.

keckles
06/21/2005, 12:46 PM
You will probably find the 30 cube to be more difficult than the 100 gallon, especially with the small amount of surface area on the 30 cubes. The 30 cube will not require as much or as large of equipment, but stability and maturity will be much harder to achieve. Stick with it, and don't give up, it will get easier with time :thumbsup:

oddballs
06/21/2005, 04:31 PM
sorry to hear all this!if we can help in any way please dont be afraid to ask!

lanamarks
06/22/2005, 09:52 AM
After thinking about it I decided I will keep my tank. It is just too nice and I would not make any money, just have a smaller tank once I set it up as nice as my 100 gal.

Oddballs - in a month or so I'll definetely be in for some new critters! Do you have anything coming in for me this week (my nano is looking better than ever!)