PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Questions about Saturday's meeting

ReefLady
02/04/2002, 02:22 PM
Hi all,

I have a couple *dumb* questions about this Saturday's meeting.

First, it's been a few years since I've been to the Aquarium - heck, since I've been to Boston (hoping I don't get lost, LOL). Anyway - is the Aquarium the best place to park? I had a friend go last week, and he said parking was $26.00 there. If that's the best option, no problem.

Also....being new to this frag trading stuff.....how do all you experienced traders bag/transport the frags? I'm thinking doubled plastic bags with plenty of water/air, in a small cooler. Will heat packs be needed?

Thanks!!

jimbos
02/04/2002, 07:04 PM
Teri,

I would try to park along Atlantic ave if possible. There are meters there. If you park in the garage it will cost big bucks. Once you get in the general area you should be able to find parking(within walking distance). Shouldn't be all that bad on Sat. ---

Right now they are saying 35 degress for sat so I will bring a small cooler w/heat paks. I also will be taking the commuter rail and I have a little walk so I don't want to take any chances....

HTH

Vilas
02/05/2002, 09:40 PM
Carpooling might be a good option here. You might want to post a thread on this, to see if anyone else is coming from your way..that way, parking costs are halved. You can also park in revere, or somewhere out of the way, and take the T directly to the aquarium - blue line, aquarium T stop.

As far as packing goes, I'm a big fan of disposable tupperware. You can get the stop and shop/star market/whatever brand for pretty cheap (I paid 1.99 for 5 medium sized containers) and it's good for anything from frags to sea urchins. Ziplock bags are also good for smaller frags. If you have something really delicate, an old trick is to rubberband the rock or frag to a small hunk of styrofoam, then float it upside down in your container of choice. That way, it won't get flipped upside down or bumped around. These are some good tricks I've seen. With the temperature, I'll be bringing a cooler, and trying to use a bigger volume of water than usual for some buffering. A heat pack might also be good... I'm aiming not to be outside for tooooo long. However, even inside, a quick shift from 80, where I keep my temp, to 70, room temp, then back to another tank...well, it's a lot for a few hours.

Oh, and a side note before I stop talking your ears off. Don't try putting frags in your backpack or purse. I tried that once, on the T, because I felt silly. Took me a week and a half to clean the salt water out of the innards of my cell phone, much less my wallet, when the bag sprung a leak!
OOOOOOOOOOOPS! Note, I now also bring extra shopping bags to triple bag anything I get.
Charlotte

NHreefer
02/06/2002, 12:50 PM
If you are an Aquarium member it is only $12 in the garage. I live in Allenstown near Concord, Manchester. I will be going to the meeting, so if someone wants to carpool I can meet them at a park and drive or something. i don't mind driving and we can split the parking $12. I owe Jim G. some live rock so I will bring that for him and try to make some homemade rock tonight. I have been pretty busy lately and have not kept up with this forum. I look forward to seeing everyone again Kelly's was a fun zoo, definately looks like we've outgrown Greg's house. ;) later Chris Nye