PDA

View Full Version : High pH, Low Alk...Advice Needed

The Shaman
10/17/1999, 08:18 AM
Hi all,
First off, I'm really glad to see the board up and running again! Thank you for all your hard work trying to maintain a quality board for us to come to!

Now, the problem. I've been dosing B-ionic to help w/ Alk & Ca levels as water changes alone don't suffice. I started out using the recommended dose, but saw little improvement. I then doubled my dosage to 4 ml/10g and started seeing results. My Colt and fish were not looking to good last night, so I tested. The results were:
Temp - 78*F
Salinity - 34ppt
pH - 8.6
Alk - 1.7meq/l
Ca - 275-300ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ugly, isn't it? http://216.121.119.111/ubb/frown.gif I immediately did a 10% H2O change w/ RO/DI only hoping to lower the pH a little. As of this A.M. the pH remains about the same. I know that B-ionic has a tendency to raise the pH, but not to this extent. Previously, my pH stayed around 8.0-8.2.

I've heard that using Kents' Superbuffer dKH raises Alk, but not pH, and am considering using this instead. This is where I would like your advice. Would using this buffer help w/ my Alk levels w/o affecting pH? Also, could I use the Kent's and the Ca part of B-ionic together?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

The Shaman

I almost forgot:
10g reef
Lee's CC Skimmer
~10# LR
2-3" Aragonite sandbed
Colt coral, large
Mushroom rock, small
asst'd Zooanthids & Polyps
Royal Gramma
Tomato Clown, small
Peppy shrimp
asst'd cleaners

MIKE
10/17/1999, 08:59 AM
Hi Shaman,

The conditions you describe could typically be caused by two things. First, how are you reading ph? Unless you are using a well calibrated monitor, the reading is likely suspect. Verify that you are getting an accurate ph reading.

The second possibility is a temporary high ph due to using ESV. The buffer they use will temporarily raise ph. If you measure ph within a few hours of dosing, it will be higher than normal. Large ESV doses to increase calcium may result in a ph increase that barely returns to normal before the next dosing.

The Kent products will work very well. You can actually create your own "two part" additive by using turbo calcium and superbuffer dkh. The Kent buffer is "balanced" meaning it will not change ph when administered. The key in using these products is to add it diluted, and slowly, over the course of several minutes (both parts). But if you do this, they are quite effective, give you more flexibility to increase the levels, and are cheaper.

Good luck
Mike

The Shaman
10/17/1999, 09:30 AM
MIKE - Thanks for the response. I believe that my pH reading is pretty accurate as I didn't dose anything the day before the reading ( thank God ). I'm going to my LFS today to pick up the buffer( could I borrow $20 ? http://216.121.119.111/ubb/wink.gif). I plan on doing a 25% water change w/ the buffer added. Would doing this be OK or should I skip the buffer addition right now and wait until the pH settles back down?

MIKE
10/17/1999, 09:41 AM
Hi Guy,

If it were me, I wouldn't do any more water changes, as each one is stressful to the animals. The ph is not *that* bad, and will come down over the next 24-48 hrs if you stop the ESV. The alkalinity is also not in an emergency zone.

I would get the SuperBuffer, and begin adding it slowly. Again, remember to dilute it in some tank water and pour it in slowly. Then wait awhile (a couple of hours) and take a reading. You can repeat this procedure two or three times a day until alkalinity is where you want it.

Another suggestion, since you have it. You could go ahead an dose the ESV calcium portion while using the kent buffer. This way you can continue to increase calcium while doing this.

Finally, I know your ph readings is relatively higher than normal. But again, if you're using the coloremetric testing, it's likely off http://216.121.119.111/ubb/smile.gif. Food for thought.

Good luck
Mike

PS - SuperBuffer is much cheaper MO!

MIKE
10/17/1999, 03:54 PM
Hi Shaman,

The alk/calcium equation is one of the more confusing/frustrating parts of the hobby for me, which is why I've kinda specialized in it.

If you have any further problems, let us know and we'll gladly help out.

Good luck
Mike

The Shaman
10/17/1999, 11:04 PM
MIKE - Thanks again for the help! Having such a small tank and being a novice, I tend to get a little carried away when parameters are 'what I perceive to be' too far off. I also tend to forget the golden rule in reefkeeping,"Patience, patience,patience." Hopefully that will sink in one day. I've been battling tha Alk/Ca problem and have never been able to get it where is should be, so this is very frustrating. Thanks again for the advice and the handholding. http://216.121.119.111/ubb/smile.gif

The Shaman