PDA

View Full Version : New Meeting Place

Jon
02/04/2002, 01:48 PM
I'm going to throw this idea out for a vote. Given the problems the club has had securing the Phila library on a regular basis and their limitation to 6 meetings a year. I would like to propose moving to a new location. After calling around I found the Bensalem library. They are 5 min north of the old place and would allow the club to meet up to 12 times a year at no cost and they have no problem with securing a years worth of meetings in advance. They are located at: 3700 Hulmeville Road, Bensalem, PA 19020. If enough people say yes I'll book the next meeting and then at that meeting we can collectivly decide what to do next. Please respone yes or no and comment. Also what day is best for everyone? Thanks,

Jon.............

CherryCat
02/04/2002, 02:28 PM
yes ... the day doesn't really matter ...

amonhen
02/04/2002, 05:08 PM
I'll show up to a meeting in Bensalem.

I hope this doesn't seem too petty, but I'm travelling pretty far as it is. I live west of Philadelphia, and would like to see it move closer to center city rather than farther. I can probably get a room at Penn (34th & Spruce), but parking will likely be an issue. I'll check around and see when you have to feed the meters. Alternatively, I can look at libraries closer to me, but I somehow I get the feeling that people won't want to travel west of the city. Can I get some feedback on people on where they would travel to meet?

Jeff

Green Mariner
02/04/2002, 05:37 PM
Yes, I am with Jeff, I live close to Delaware and further north from the City is bad for me. I would prefer something a little closer, it takes me almost an hour to attend a meeting now!

JMO

Jon
02/04/2002, 07:39 PM
First off, I'm all for moving the location further west!

However, not knowing who exactly attends and where they are comming from I figured why change things up to much. Besides it would seem that I incorrectly assumed that most of you were from NE Philly area. But anyway, my suggestion is that if we can get enough people to acknowledge this post and at least come once to the Bensalem site, we can then sit down and find out were everyone lives and pick a more sutable location. I'm willing to do the research and I've already called quite a few places and I'm sure others will have lots of ideas as well. Let me know what you think. BTW I'm north of the city in Upper Dublin, basicly due north of Exit 26 on the PA turnpike. Thanks,

Jon.......

JRegs
02/05/2002, 11:46 AM
Bensalem isn't a big deal for me, I live in Center City. I can sympathize with GM and Jeff though. An hour drive is rough. And an hour drive for you guys in Montco and Bucks is tough too. Anybody have connections in Conshohocken?

Jon
02/05/2002, 12:47 PM
I decided to do a little work last night. I went back over some of the old threads in this forum and found about 25 semi regulars or so and the approximitte area they live in. I then plotted it on a map. I think there is a very good argument to move the club west.

http://www.jguida.com/bb_posting_pics/reefmembers.jpg

What does everyone want to do? Call a meeting in Bensalem first or decide here and now on a new place. I think we should start looking NW of the city. Thanks,

Jon..........

CherryCat
02/05/2002, 02:53 PM
i've left a message at the conshohocken free library (http://mnl.mclinc.org/library/Cons_home_page.htm) about use of their meeting space. i'll post the results.

based on their hours, tho, we're pretty much stuck with monday or wednesday nights. maybe the occasional saturday or sunday should be considered??

i very much like the idea of moving the meetings closer this way, for obvious reasons. :bigeyes: i am, however, willing to look for other locations, if anyone has other ideas. :idea:

finally, huge thanks to jon for doing the homework for us. :thumbsup:

Spykey
02/05/2002, 05:44 PM
I like the current location, although the ideal location is the library close to the Hidden reef. What happened to that location? I think having the meeting close to the best retail reef store in the area will help us get new members.

I am against moving the meeting west of the city. It takes me about 40 min to get to the meetings now, further west would be worse. Plus us Jersey people have more traffic and tolls to deal with.:eek: Enough with my complaining!!! I'm sure we can compromise on the location.

First things First!!!!!!!

What about this months meeting?

Jon
02/05/2002, 06:41 PM

Green Mariner
02/05/2002, 06:59 PM
conshohocken library sounds good to me, I will make the next meeting regardless of where it is! But we need to make a decision as soon as possible!!

Larry, actually the conshohocken library is closer for you or the same distance as the one on knights rd. if you come over the ben franklin or walt witman bridges!!

JRegs, are you going to make the next meeting? If you are, can you bring some of those strombus snails?

CherryCat
02/05/2002, 07:35 PM
can i get in on the snails too???

haven't heard back from the librarian for tomorrow nite so, maybe they're already booked. maybe we should do bensalem this month, and try to sort out where to go from there??

whatever. it's gonna take me an hour to get there ... and i gotta get a sitter ... :eek1:

Jon
02/05/2002, 08:24 PM
Glad to see some activity here. I think GM & CC are right lets just have the meeting for this month somewhere and then sort out the details then. We are not going to pick an easy winner anytime soon. So, if I hear no objections by tomarrow morning I will schedule the meeting at the Bensalem Library for next Wednesday, that is, if they have it available.

BTW, does anyone have a nice peice of Leather that they might want to part with?

Jon.......

Green Mariner
02/05/2002, 08:43 PM
Jon, I have a leather frag for you!

Jon
02/05/2002, 10:38 PM
Thanks GM....................

JRegs
02/06/2002, 10:48 AM
If we're having the meeting tonight (which would be our regularly scheduled night) I can't make it. If you guys want to have one next Wednesday I can make it.
Larry, the problem with the Welsh branch library is the same as the Drexel library, we can only schedule any Phila. library six times a year using the same organization name.

glh7767
02/06/2002, 11:18 AM
Jon:

I applaud your efforts. your demographic research is the first intelligent assessment of where meetings should be held for the benefit of all current members. if we can make it easier for more members to attend, that can only have a positive influence. to everyone: there are some for whom a movement away from the n.e. may be less convenient. you need to think a little bit more about we, a little less about me. the meetings were being held in the n.e. because the only people who were willing to take the initiative to make arrangments went with a location they were familiar with. the location is not important if we don't have members attending.

Let's not get locked into a library mindset. yes, the price is right, but bucks county uses a nature center, still gets it cheap, and is a great location. when we had eparc functioning, one of the guys had a reef tank at his office (computer software), and obtained permission for us to meet there in the evenings. anyone who has any connections to a location that might work (church halls sometimes can be had) please bring it up.

Keep in mind that in the evening hours midweek, there is almost no location i can't reach in an hours drive time.

Lastly, let's not abandon, and in fact i strongly encourage, we get back to rotating meetings through places where there is an actual reef tank. our meetings at member's homes were very successful, move the location around so some who cannot attend one place can do so at another. these can be held on alternative nights or weekends, so those who cannot attend on a normal meeting night might be able to make it. i have offered to host this before, and do so again now.

end of soapbox

gary

Jon
02/06/2002, 02:04 PM
WE HAVE A MEETING DATE!

TUESDAY 2/12 @ 7pm at the Bensalem Library

The address is: 3700 Hulmeville Road, Bensalem, PA 19020

For those of you wishing to discuss more directly the clubs business matters please plan to meet at 6:30pm. The room is actually reserved from that time on. I plan on being there at this time.

Hope to see you all there. And BTW Tuesday was the only night they had available next week. Thanks,

Jon............

amonhen
02/06/2002, 03:12 PM
I'm there for the meeting 2/12. Thanks, Jon, for taking the initiative. I have xenia and zooantid frags; post or e-mail if you want some.

--Jeff

ddangg
02/06/2002, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I don't think that my vote on this matter should count too much, because I've only been to two meetings. However, I would probably be able to make it to more if the meeting place were a bit closer to home (I'm about 30 min south of GM, so the NE Philly sites are quite a hike). Take that for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. On the other hand, if folks are willing to travel this far south, I'd be happy to host a meeting some time.

Jeff, all I've got to trade right now is a small rock with four or five green striped shrooms attatched, including a few big ones, and maybe a frag of something that's either green star polyps or briarium. If that's something you're interested in, I'd love to trade for zooanthids or xenia. What color zoo's do you have?

Dan

CherryCat
02/06/2002, 06:35 PM
all right!! count me in!!

i've posted my trade items in the "Trading at February meeting ..." folder.

glh7767
02/06/2002, 09:04 PM
tuesday's are bad for me, as i have late office hours until 8 p.m. i'll try to get there, but i can't promis anything. you guys can hash things out if i don't make it.

VinceC
02/06/2002, 10:18 PM
I will no longer be able to attend meetings on the weekdays.
But I would be happy to Host one at my place on a weekend
and if there are meetings on the weekends I"ll be there.

Vince

RichK
02/07/2002, 07:42 AM
Did I see that correctly....meeting on TUESDAY? That would be great. I have been waiting a while to meet up with you guys. I work every Wed night, so I can never get there. I am also working on a date that we can all get together at my house. All are welcome. It is going to most likely be a saturday. Maybe March 2nd. Sanjay may also be there on the 2nd, but we haven't finalized it yet ( he needs to raid my tank for frags). Let me know if there is any interest in that day. I will be able to sell frags as well if anyone wants nice SPS.

amonhen
02/07/2002, 09:13 AM
Dan,

I've got two zooanthids. One is dark green and the polyps get pretty big (maybe 3/4"). The other is smaller and brown with an orange circle (hitched in on my rock). I've also got a purple mushroom rock (3 polyps) I'd part with. Nice dark purple, kind of a grainy surface. And of course, scads of xenia.
I'll take the briarium/star polyp. You take your pick.

--Jeff

VinceC
02/07/2002, 02:48 PM
Rick,

If you decide to have it on March 2 I"ll be there.

Vince

Green Mariner
02/07/2002, 08:02 PM
http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/stupid.gif

jk Vince!!:D

CherryCat
02/07/2002, 08:24 PM
i'll be there, rick!!

schooling behaviour, i guess ... :fun4:

JRegs
02/08/2002, 10:07 AM
What I have:
Strombus snails (GM and Cherry Cat, I got ya's)
Orange zooanthids
1 Loose neon green mushroom
1 Pink Pocillapora damicormis frag
1 Brown w/ green polyps Acropora sp. (real small)
xenia
green star polyps
Disclaimer: I make it well known that I have flatworms, I do my best to rid them from anything I give away or trade.

What I'd like:
1/2 lb. crushed coral
bristle worms
any sps

apulo
02/08/2002, 03:23 PM
I'll try to make it too. GreenMariner has been helping me with my tank setup thru email and I'd like to meet him and all the rest of you in person. I wont be able to stay too long tho. Even thought I work in Valley Forge, I live up near Pottsville and thats about a two hour drive home for me ;)

See you there!

CherryCat
02/08/2002, 03:32 PM
alright, since it appears nobody's looking in my other thread i'll post this here, too.

i have the following items up for trade. i don't want to bring a cooler full of stuff so, please let me know if you are seriously interested in any item.

i have:

1x a. secale frags (little)
1x toadstool frag
1x small rock with green star polyps (i think)
1x nice zooanthid rock
1x anthelia colony
1x gorgeous 'shroom rock w/at least 20 'shrooms (blue/purple, red, green marbled)
2x smallish bunches of chaetomorpha

i would like:

LOTS of 'pods!! (i accidentally rescued a dragonet from lfs in pottstown)
anything "orange" or "red" (sps?)
any worms/detritivores

that should cover it ...

Jon
02/08/2002, 03:42 PM
Hey CC,

I may take the shrooms off ya. I'll get back to you shorty, but either way I got tons of 'pods' running around I'll see if I can round up a group of them for you. They don't exactly stand still. Maybe some worms too. I know JRegs you wanted some too. I'll see what happens. Thanks,

Jon.............

raptor
02/09/2002, 11:53 AM
I am coming from south NJ,over WW bridge.I95 north.Give me directions from 95. Thank's

Green Mariner
02/10/2002, 11:00 AM
Here are directions from I95 No.

I-95 N.

Take the STREET ROAD exit- exit number 25- towards PA-132.

Turn LEFT onto STREET RD.

Stay straight to go onto STREET RD/PA-132.

Turn RIGHT onto HULMEVILLE RD/PA-513.

HTH

ddangg
02/10/2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by amonhen
Dan,

I've got two zooanthids. One is dark green and the polyps get pretty big (maybe 3/4"). The other is smaller and brown with an orange circle (hitched in on my rock). I've also got a purple mushroom rock (3 polyps) I'd part with. Nice dark purple, kind of a grainy surface. And of course, scads of xenia.
I'll take the briarium/star polyp. You take your pick.

--Jeff

Jeff,

I won't be able to make it to the next meeting after all, so a trade at that venue is out. If you'd like to meet up somewhere at another time, drop me an email and we'll try to work something out.

Thanks,

Dan

RichK
02/10/2002, 11:52 PM
Well, consider yourselves lucky. You will finally get to meet me. I will discuss the plans for March 2nd then. Hope some of you guys can make it.

JRegs
02/11/2002, 09:36 AM
Cherry Cat, I'll take that a.secale frag.
Anyone else, I could really use some crushed coral. I stated earlier I needed 1/2 lb but I guess I really just need a sandwich bag full. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Jon
02/11/2002, 11:13 AM
CherryCat, I'll take that 'shroom rock off ya and get you some PODs.

JRegs, I'll try and get you some CC. I've got a lot in the sump.

Thanks,

Jon.............

CherryCat
02/11/2002, 04:47 PM
jregs - 1x a. secale frag
jon - 1x 'shroom rock

anyone else?? if so, you gotta let me know before 3pm tomorrow ...

ASH
02/12/2002, 10:16 AM
Hi,
Sue and I can't make it tonight but if you decide to have one on March 2 we'll be there.

As far as operating $$, I'm willing to donate some IceCap equipment as a door-prize to help raise money.

Andy

glh7767
02/12/2002, 12:20 PM
Andy:

That is a very generous offer. that is one of the main reasons i own and operate 5 ice cap ballasts, and i'm waiting for my 3 blue lines to blow up so i can replace those with icecaps. to our members: i strongly encourage you to consider icecap for your vho and mh needs. there is no company in this hobby, bar none, that has the customer service they have. andy is a first class act, and his service department is superb.

gary

Jon
02/13/2002, 08:04 AM
Andy,

I agree with Gary and the others at the meeting last night that your offer is very generous and is much apprecheated. However, as a group and in the short term I think we need to figure out exactly the best way/time to raffle it off, which shouldn't take that long. But aside from that I think Rich confirmed that he is a go for March 2nd and he indicated that he will be starting a new thread on it shortly with the details. Probably best that as a group we can meet up then with you and discuss the details. BTW, I've heard nothing but good things surounding you and your products and look forward to meeting you. Thanks again for the support.

Jon.........

ASH
02/13/2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks much for the comments. Let me know how you want to set things up.
I look forward to an opportunity for showing off some new lighting applications we're developing.
Andy

glh7767
02/13/2002, 09:33 PM
At EPARC, we would simply sell raffle tickets to the members at the beginning of a meeting and have a drawing. if andy is donating a ballast or something with a higher dollar value, a simple voice auction would probably be a better idea. prior to doing that however, a decision as to where funds will be placed must be made, along with someone acting as treasurer to handle the funds. despite certain members opposition, it is imperative the club open a checking account and try to get a cash reserve built up in order to improve the quality of meetings, presentations, speakers, and so on. this can be done with raffles or auctions, as above, with a members dues base (and i guarantee 10-20 per year in a hobby like this will kill NO ONE; if it does, man are you in the WRONG hobby!!!) another easy painless source is a 50/50 drawing at each meeting, where raffle tickets are sold, typically 1.00 each or 3/2.00, and then 50% of the money collected is given as a prize, the other 50% goes to the club.

gary

reefslug
02/14/2002, 12:08 PM
I agree with gary. I have held the position of treasurer for three year for a local fire company, and would like to throw name into the hat to take this position. I feel that I am well qualified for the job. I also like the idea that we do 50/50 at the meetings. Where 50% goes to member and 50% to club. We do this at every company meeting and can pull in 50 or 100 dollars a night. This money can then be sent to a culb account so that we have money for trips or other neat stuff. Auctions that are eith silent or verbal would be good along with White elephant sales wher some or all of the profit goes to the club. In this way much money can be generated for the club.

I also have a database system setup the will account to club members dues and address listings the I am will be pass on to the club for proper records managment.

If interested in any of the above let me know.

Kevin
ReefSlug

raptor
02/15/2002, 03:02 PM
All the above sound good to me.We are headed in the right direction.Everyone must get involved,especially when starting with such small numbers.Looking forward to next months meeting!Michael

glh7767
02/15/2002, 11:44 PM
establishing officer positions, or at least a governing board, is a good first step. HOWEVER, a recipe for failure in any organization is elect a president, and then EVERYTHING is his or her responsibility. that person will burn out quickly no matter how gung ho, and members will not feel the need to participate.

while we are at it, i'd like to nominate myself for the position of supreme monarch in charge of conserving energy and socialization!:)

CherryCat
02/17/2002, 05:52 PM
i agree with gary. i don't think we should place the whole burden on jon. that being said. i wish to nominate myself "official beer taster" of the club. duties should be self evident but, we can discuss this further at rich's on march 2nd ... :beer: